• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When will slim-fitting pants be popular?

bluemax

Reaction score
This thread got me thinking again about something that's been on my mind for a while. I'm so tired of jeans. They're great once in a while, but wool or regular cotton pants are just so much more comfortable, and look better. The thing is, "dress pants" that are both slim and good looking are hard to find, especially under $100. The entire market for slacks seems to be firmly centered around business dress, rather than casual dress. I don't understand this.

I can go out and buy slim-fit Levis for $40, but I can't buy decent quality slim-fit pants in the same price range. What is it about regular pants that make them less "hip" to people than jeans? I want to rock wool pants with a 7" hem, that actually fit in the seat and thighs and weren't tapered to 7" by a tailor. Why is such a thing so hard to find, and yet I can find jeans that fit the same way without any problem?

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm just going to take a random guess...because there's no market for it ?
in highschool 95% of people were wearing jeans. in college, a huge majority are wearing jeans. I rarely ever see people casually wearing wool pants or slacks. to think I would find a slim-fitting version of those pants for cheap would be near impossible methinks...

factorial

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that slim fitting pants weren't popular.

Speaking as an American, though, it could be that lots of us are fat, or it could be that you have an unusually slim build.

In the thread from a couple weeks ago, someone told me that Banana Republic pants weren't slim fitting and I was very surprised (since I consider the two pairs that I own to be slim-fit, and I'm 6'2" with a 32" waist so I have an athletic build.) Maybe there are just a lot of skinny people on SF?

Gutman

Reaction score
Tapering a trouser leg is an extemely easy alteration (if the right sort of seam) - shop around for flat fronted trousers and get them tapered. Tailor can pin them up while you're wearing them, or just match the taper on another pair you have. Doesn't require any fabric to be cut, so easily reversable or adjustable.

Works well on casual pants or suit trousers (even on 70s ones, because they are usually nice and snug around the hips, and have a decent rise so convert well to a 60s look). I've got quite few nice pairs of pants this way, all for minimal cost. There are some really hideous 70s suit fabrics which would look great on tapered pants...

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
J.Crew

+1. Has the OP ever gone shopping? Try looking around.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I'd be nice to see some more choice's out there, and some cheaper ones as well. I like the classic slim cut grey wool pant.

foto010101

Reaction score
You are looking for the slimmer models by Incotex and Borrelli.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never! unless your talking about womens pants or pants for those emo kids I don't know that they will ever really become that popular amoung most men.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads