When was the Low Gorge in Style?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mbell, Mar 14, 2006.

1. mbell

mbell Senior member

I'm curious as to when low gorges on jackets were in style and also which brands tend to feature them. I know Armani used a very low gorge at one point. For that matter, I'd also appreciate if anyone cared to outline other stylistic characteristics and when they appeared. I know of course the 1970s featured wide lapels.

I've only started to notice such details in the last year or so (thanks to this group) and since I shop second-hand I see styles from all different time periods. I recently found a custom made Tom James suit that was great in every way except for a low gorge. The tag inside indicated it was made in 1997.

mike

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Low gorge, low waist, low button point was very much an 80s look.

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Don't forget the shoulder pads. They are an essential part of that particular look.

4. mbell

mbell Senior member

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Now I wonder why the suit I found that was presumably made in 1997 had such a low gorge. Maybe someone was feeling nostalgic? [​IMG]

mike

5. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Now I wonder why the suit I found that was presumably made in 1997 had such a low gorge. Maybe someone was feeling nostalgic? [​IMG]

mike

The look continued through the early-to-mid 90s. Also, someone may have been convinced that the low gorge proportions looked better on his body than another option.

6. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Also keep in mind that Tom James "custom" probably doesn't offer a lot of choice in gorge/button stance. That's probably just the general cut they were doing in 1997. The TJ demographic, IIRC, is usually looking for a pretty middle of the road suit, styling-wise.