• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When was fusing as a suit construction method invented?

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering when the technique of fusing was invented and from what time it became the normal construction method for cheaper suits.
Before fusing was there another cost and labour saving method of suit construction? Will a suit made before a certain date always be fully canvassed?

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Good question, I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this myself.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It was invented in 1967 but it took them a long time to a) get it right and b) get people on board. Prior to that, all suits were made with basted canvas.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question! I occasionally wondered the same thing. And for the life of me, when I try to do the pinch trick on a suit ( 3 inches in and 3 inches up from the bottom) to feel for the presence or absence of a fused liner, I can't tell if what I'm feeling is a floating stitched canvas, or an glued in fusing.....

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
Good question! I occasionally wondered the same thing. And for the life of me, when I try to do the pinch trick on a suit ( 3 inches in and 3 inches up from the bottom) to feel for the presence or absence of a fused liner, I can't tell if what I'm feeling is a floating stitched canvas, or an glued in fusing.....

If it's easy to pinch and roll the fabric, then it's canvassed.

If you have to fight with it and it feels stiff, likely fused.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Start with a lightweight suit that you know is canvas, just to get the feel for it. The layer in between the front and the facing (the canvas) is usually fairly easy to feel, except some sportcoats.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips

The arms are free floating fabric. If the suit feels exactly like the arms, then its canvassed at the bottom. Keep in mind there is half canvassing too. Brooks does that on their 1818 line, and so does Boss on their Selection line RTW.

Eventually you learn the difference between fusing. Fusing will feel different when rubbed together. Its hard sometimes. Just spend a lot of time with the garment and continue being skeptical, until there is absolutely no doubt in your mind that the fabric in the chest rubs against itself in the exact same manner as the fabric in the arms.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
The arms are free floating fabric. If the suit feels exactly like the arms, then its canvassed at the bottom. Keep in mind there is half canvassing too. Brooks does that on their 1818 line, and so does Boss on their Selection line RTW.

Eventually you learn the difference between fusing. Fusing will feel different when rubbed together. Its hard sometimes. Just spend a lot of time with the garment and continue being skeptical, until there is absolutely no doubt in your mind that the fabric in the chest rubs against itself in the exact same manner as the fabric in the arms.

that is exactly how i see if for the canvassed front. if it feels like liquid/fluid it is most certainly canvassed. if it is stiff a little bit, i dont really know.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
It was invented in 1967 but it took them a long time to a) get it right and b) get people on board. Prior to that, all suits were made with basted canvas.
Thanks! that's the sort of question I could only get answered here. Even quick google and wikipedia searches didn't turn that information up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads