• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When to wear Oxfords

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought about getting these Oxfords:
8764-03.jpg

But my problem is that I would want to wear them more or less as part of a casual outfit. Would it for example considered appropriate to wear them with jeans (and a shirt of course)?
If not, what about cords or chinos and a shirt?
I think it should be definitely appropriate to wear them with a sports coat, shouldn't it?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I thought so already, but it is good to be reassured.
What do you think about the shoe in general? Design, colour?
It is nothing fancy, made by John Crocket (a German brand that makes traditional English clothes - or at least claims to). It is welted, only the sole is glued.
Or is the light brown one better?
8764-02.jpg

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sand
Thanks, I thought so already, but it is good to be reassured.
What do you think about the shoe in general? Design, colour?
It is nothing fancy, made by John Crocket (a German brand that makes traditional English clothes - or at least claims to). It is welted, only the sole is glued.
Or is the light brown one better?
8764-02.jpg

They look a lot like the AE Park Avenues (with one less eyelet). Which isn't a bad thing, even if a glued sole is.

EDIT: I think I prefer the lighter brown. What do these set one back, if I may ask?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
My wife would say they are for formal outfits but I would wear them khakis and even jeans.
If they were brogued I'd lean a bit more toward your wife's stance, but I think the captoes are clearly sedate enough to wear with jeans or khaki's, as you suggest.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
EDIT: I think I prefer the lighter brown. What do these set one back, if I may ask?
129 €. Just affordable for me.
Which colour tone would you consider more versatile (with emphasis on casual wear)?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
If they were brogued I'd lean a bit more toward your wife's stance, but I think the captoes are clearly sedate enough to wear with jeans or khaki's, as you suggest.
? I always thought brogues were less formal than Oxfords?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'll offer a voice of dissent and opine that a blucher would be more versatile for jeans to sport coat ensembles.

Something more like this:

edmondslexiton.jpg

or this:

shoes_is27115.jpg

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's interesting. My understanding of the "rules" is that captoes are officially more formal than brogues...

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stach
The lighter color is more casual.
I thought so as well. But I think the darker tone is more versatile, isn't it?
Originally Posted by AlanC
I'll offer a voice of dissent and opine that a blucher would be more versatile for jeans to sport coat ensembles. Something more like this:
edmondslexiton.jpg
or this:
shoes_is27115.jpg

I know, they do have brogues as well (though no bluchers) but I am not sure whether I like the style:
7157-02.jpg
or
7157-03.jpg

Stax

Reaction score

Ditto

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
That's interesting. My understanding of the "rules" is that captoes are officially more formal than brogues...

You are correct. Brogues came about as wet weather country shoes as the holes (now only decorative) allowed water to escape the shoe.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm with AlanC. I think bluchers would look much better with sportcoats/khakis.

I think captoe bals can work with jeans (sometimes, on the right person) specifically because of the style disconnect, but I think they look odd with casual clothing such as khakis. Suggests the person only owns one pair of dress shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads