1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Yeossal We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Yeossal, a Singapore based retailer of fine men's shoes, including Italy's Antonio Meccariello, Spain's newcomer TLB Mallorca and Corno blu from Japan. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

When to wear lighter navy suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Jul 12, 2018.

1. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Distinguished Member

EDAB2FE9-DC2F-4E84-97BD-3F9A698888DE.jpeg I have a fairly broad collection of suits (dark navy, dark navy with light pinstripe, heather grey, dark grey, medium navy with light pattern, black) and am thinking of a solid light blue.

I see these suits here and there but not sure when they are most appropriate to wear.

I’m in the advertising industry so not too conservative, i.e., there is leeway.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018

2. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior Member

It might be the colour correction on your camera, but to me this isn't navy, it's bright blue. But if you do want to wear something of that shade, tone down everything else, so white or very light blue shirt, dark tie (charcoal, dark grey, navy at a push).

3. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Distinguished Member

Great point! I didn't have my coffee yet, so blanked here but this is definitely light (bright) blue. That shows how off the radar it is for me.

4. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior Member

If you want a bit more variation, I'd personally go for different cloths (flannel, linen) or patterns (windowpane, glen check) before going for a colour like this, which is not that versatile. But obviously if you love the colour then go for it.

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Distinguished Member

I think you can get away with it at two extremes of the spectrum. Obviously when it is incredibly sunny in the summer it will look fine. However, oddly enough, it will also look very good in the evening as the artificial light (if it isn't too full on) will make it look much much darker than it is so it'd be perfect for evening parties and openings etc. For me it's the perfect vernissage suit as you don't look as if you've come straight from a day's work in the office unlike quite a few others in the room.

Not really one for autumn or winter though.

6. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

In some ways you have the advantage of many of us as the Advertising Trade does, of itself, support approaches to perceived sartorial elegance which do not obtain in other professional circles. That does not put either above the other but nonetheless the differences are rather more than marginal.

Thus is not a colour that I would expect to wear for any purpose and I suspect many professional people would agree simply because of 'norms' associated with different strands of society. Each strand them goes from there, you will be familiar with your own profession and I would suggest that you should judge the colour in that context and your circumstances.

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Stylish Dinosaur

I think the suit is cool but I can only see a white shirt going with it (maybe a black shirt?). I also wouldn't associate it with the workplace - although I'm in government where dress is conservative and/or sloppy. I think the suit would be perfectly fine for an after-work event or party.

8. BigBadBernard

BigBadBernard Senior Member

This sort of blue was seen about 5 years or so ago in the city amongst younger insurance broker types. Often found on suits that didn’t cover the arse properly.

Not a very professional look in my view, but I guess it might pass muster in certain circles.

9. suitntieguy

suitntieguy Senior Member

I’m all for a lighter blue suit. I have 2 and can post pics when I get home that I wear in a fairly conservative setting. One is summer only the other is year round. The OPs suit I would not. It is a little too Miami Vice for me.

Lot of options of what to wear with a light blue suit. White shirts work best but subtle stripes on white will work too (pink, light blue, yellow). Ties is even more. Pink, light blue, yellow, Browns, brighter reds like cranberry and raspberry.

10. aph999

aph999 Senior Member

I have an all-cashmere (very lightweight) Kiton Lasa suit in a similar shade, although a little more muted, and a sky blue bespoke suit I had made in Florence, both of which pair well with a solid white shirt and a variety of ties. And I wear them in a professional market, just fine.

Kiton Lasa:

s-l1600.jpg

Bespoke (Sartoria Cisternino)

IMG_0169.jpg

11. stylish_raven

stylish_raven Senior Member

i would wear those pretty much anywhere. with some burgundy shoes. they do suit nicely however in some countries people may dress differently for a wide arrange of events.