• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When to wear a whitish tweed jacket and with what?

Sortasartorial

Reaction score
The white seasonal rule?

Smooth silk ties with such a textured tweed? A wool tie is shown.

What color trousers?

20220618_230712_HDR.jpg

20220618_230917_HDR.jpg

20220918_160838.jpg

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice jacket, fit looks good. That summer “rule” about white seems to be an American thing. Here in Italy we wear white year-round; I have thick corduroy trousers in white that get worn Dec-March, although I wouldn’t wear them in sloppy weather.

Obviously you can’t wear that heavy jacket in summer. At any rate it seems more cream than white although photos can lie. It’s not really office appropriate as it would stand out in either a casual or formal work environment. I would wear it to winter evening events with a knit silk or wool tie. Probably green or brown worsted trousers—something dark, you don’t want to look like Tom Wolfe (I’m guessing).

Last edited:

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Nice jacket! I recently got an off-white tweed jacket delivered from my tailor as well, though in a slightly more casual cut (SB) and with horn buttons. I will wear mine at work, but the cut and buttons makes it a bit more work-appropriate, and Sweden in general and tech in particular has very forgiving dresscodes ("Clothes, please.") I long ago embraced being the eccentric, but I wouldn't suggest that for anyone else unless you feel very comfortable with playing that role.

I agree witgh @maxalex that the "no white after labour day" thing is a US (I belive mostly east coast) thing, and as I've heard it explained it is at least partly an old social gatekeeping rule; breaking it revealed that you didn't have a "proper" upbringing, and might get you branded as a savage or (worse) new money! In Europe, quoting that rule might get you branded as a poser or a forum sartorialist, if anyone even know what you mean. White and off-white might generally be seen as most appropriate in bright weather, but there's a case to be made that wearing those hues during dark northern European winters will stand out a bit.

That kind of jacket might fall under what Simon Crompton described as cocktail attire - something to wear when you want to dress up for a social event, but not all the way to a suit (or black tie). I think a knitted silk tie in a dark color would make for a nice contrast while remaining suitable casual, and probably combine it with medium grey or dark brown trousers. This kind of jacket, worn with a knitted black silk tie and a white shirt, could be a candidate for tailored black trousers if you're feeling bold. That's probably how I'd style it, but like I said, I long came to term with my eccentricity.

If you don't mind me asking, what fabric is it?

Sortasartorial

Reaction score
Nice jacket! I recently got an off-white tweed jacket delivered from my tailor as well, though in a slightly more casual cut (SB) and with horn buttons. I will wear mine at work, but the cut and buttons makes it a bit more work-appropriate, and Sweden in general and tech in particular has very forgiving dresscodes ("Clothes, please.") I long ago embraced being the eccentric, but I wouldn't suggest that for anyone else unless you feel very comfortable with playing that role.

I agree witgh @maxalex that the "no white after labour day" thing is a US (I belive mostly east coast) thing, and as I've heard it explained it is at least partly an old social gatekeeping rule; breaking it revealed that you didn't have a "proper" upbringing, and might get you branded as a savage or (worse) new money! In Europe, quoting that rule might get you branded as a poser or a forum sartorialist, if anyone even know what you mean. White and off-white might generally be seen as most appropriate in bright weather, but there's a case to be made that wearing those hues during dark northern European winters will stand out a bit.

That kind of jacket might fall under what Simon Crompton described as cocktail attire - something to wear when you want to dress up for a social event, but not all the way to a suit (or black tie). I think a knitted silk tie in a dark color would make for a nice contrast while remaining suitable casual, and probably combine it with medium grey or dark brown trousers. This kind of jacket, worn with a knitted black silk tie and a white shirt, could be a candidate for tailored black trousers if you're feeling bold. That's probably how I'd style it, but like I said, I long came to term with my eccentricity.

If you don't mind me asking, what fabric is it?

Thank you. I'll check when I return home tomorrow and let you know if I am wrong, but I believe it is wool.

If it were worn with black trousers, white shirt, and a knitted black bowtie, it would be interestingly similar to an ivory DB dinner jacket Bond look but with the flecks of color.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest pearl grey flannels and a white shirt. Because of the tan flecks, a nice twill khaki could be nice for trousers. Perhaps a medium grey cashmere knit tie or one of the "flecks" of color in the tweed (light blue or light tobacco)? Whatever color tie, I would go with a wool or cashmere knit and not silk. Hard to tell the best shade of color without holding the jacket next to the tie.

Sortasartorial

Reaction score
I would suggest pearl grey flannels and a white shirt. Because of the tan flecks, a nice twill khaki could be nice for trousers. Perhaps a medium grey cashmere knit tie or one of the "flecks" of color in the tweed (light blue or light tobacco)? Whatever color tie, I would go with a wool or cashmere knit and not silk. Hard to tell the best shade of color without holding the jacket next to the tie.

Thank you.

Sortasartorial

Reaction score
Nice jacket, fit looks good. That summer “rule” about white seems to be an American thing. Here in Italy we wear white year-round; I have thick corduroy trousers in white that get worn Dec-March, although I wouldn’t wear them in sloppy weather.

Obviously you can’t wear that heavy jacket in summer. At any rate it seems more cream than white although photos can lie. It’s not really office appropriate as it would stand out in either a casual or formal work environment. I would wear it to winter evening events with a knit silk or wool tie. Probably green or brown worsted trousers—something dark, you don’t want to look like Tom Wolfe (I’m guessing).

Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads