• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When to retire a suit

Pink22m

Reaction score
This question might seem obvious, but when do you retire a suit? I have a suit by Emporio Armani, which I purchased four years ago as my first suit. The suit has gotten alot of wear; for a few months, it was the only suit I had, and thus, it got worn quite heavily. The suit still fits me very well, but I have noticed that the sleeves are starting to fray a bit. Also, a small patch of fabric on the trouser leg, just above my knee cap, is starting to wear thin. An area down by the trouser hem is also starting to fray. Shall I retire it? I only have two other suits right now (excluding the custom I have on order), so I am trying to build my suit wardrobe. I wear a suit five days a week, and given the infancy of my suit wardrobe, I can't really afford to retire it too early.

amemovox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
This question might seem obvious, but when do you retire a suit? I have a suit by Emporio Armani, which I purchased four years ago as my first suit. The suit has gotten alot of wear; for a few months, it was the only suit I had, and thus, it got worn quite heavily. The suit still fits me very well, but I have noticed that the sleeves are starting to fray a bit. Also, a small patch of fabric on the trouser leg, just above my knee cap, is starting to wear thin. An area down by the trouser hem is also starting to fray. Shall I retire it? I only have two other suits right now (excluding the custom I have on order), so I am trying to build my suit wardrobe. I wear a suit five days a week, and given the infancy of my suit wardrobe, I can't really afford to retire it too early.

Its time! A frayed suit coat with worn trousers does not bode well for your
image.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
As this was your first suit I shall assume you are a young man--if I am wrong I beg your forgiveness, kind sir.

This is an age old question. I have worn way too many garments to the point of thread-bareness. Since I'm a packrat I often have opportunity to revisit my decision to retire a given article. Many times I pull something out of the closet or dresser, try it on and am utterly amazed that it's in such poor condition and that I was (clearly) wearing well past its sell-by date.

On the other hand, I have simply tired of certain things, put them away after a number of years and pulled them out only to be amazed in the other direction--that I was tired of it in the first place and thought it was time to get rid of it.... I pick up wearing it and get more years of service out of it...

Without fail, the former happens with lesseer garments, the latter with quality clothing I stretch to buy. But, the former has happened all too often.
If you're asking this question about your suit and it is as you describe I'd wager it's time to take it to Goodwill...

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m

Armani suits have a reputation for being rather fragile. They are obviously not made to last. Maybe this is what they called 'programed redundancy' where something is designed to become unsuable in a few years so you have to buy a new one
frown.gif
. In any case, you can at least console yourself it was only an Armani and that you now know better.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's always a shame when an old favourite shows its age. If it's visibly fraying and thinning, then it is time to 'retire' it. Try not to wear the same suit every day; rotation will help to prolong the individual lifespan (as least that's what everyone says
tounge.gif
though true evidence is lacking)

Newton

Reaction score
+1. Retirement home for Mr. Armani!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Armani suits have a reputation for being rather fragile. They are obviously not made to last. Maybe this is what they called 'programed redundancy' where something is designed to become unsuable in a few years so you have to buy a new one
frown.gif
. In any case, you can at least console yourself it was only an Armani and that you now know better.

Personally I think if he's had it for four years and worn it a lot (as his only suit for awhile) it's done fairly well.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are several reasons to retire suits:
1) When they get worn (as you described)
2) When you grow out of them, physically
3) When your stylistic preferences have moved on

1 happens when you buy RTW brands. 2 happens when you eat too much and burn too little. 3 happens when you join SF
lol8[1].gif

Newton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
1) When they get worn (as you described)
2) When you grow out of them, physically

1 happens when you buy RTW brands. 2 happens when you eat too much and burn too little. 3 happens when you join SF
lol8[1].gif

Right on, kelecho!

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the unit is frayed and such it would appear that it should be donated to a place such as the sally ann or the like in your home town. There is always a chance that someone whos down on thier luck or mabye freshly into the country and in need of a half decent suit might find it and provide a home for a few months.

At the same time you might want to visit a few of the consinment shops in your city to see if you might be able to find a repacement for it since I believe you would be down to 2 suits untill your new one shows. I think you should strongly consider this as even with 12 normal wear suits and a few seasonal ones in my collection I find rotation to be a annoyance.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its frayed, its wearing thin - sounds like time to burn it.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Personally I think if he's had it for four years and worn it a lot (as his only suit for awhile) it's done fairly well.

No kidding. I'd like to see a pair of jeans survive four years of daily wear without wearing out.

At any rate, donate, don't throw out.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho

3 happens when you join SF
lol8[1].gif

crackup[1].gif
How soooo true . . .

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
It seems that my thighs rub together and the pants start to wear through in the crotch.

Could it be a function of your physic? How far do you have to separate your feet before the inside of your thighs don't touch?

For me it is about 6 inches and I don't have this problem, though I would like to know the answer on to how to solve it, if anyone knows . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads