• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When to move over to the world of bespoke shoes?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sw20
Even in Manhattan, anyone who can afford bespoke suits/shoes, etc can easily afford to drive self around town in a new, climate-controlled Mercedes to office/dinner/errands...so EG MTO/TD, spec'd at convenient local retailer, often become more efficient shoe choices for many

Once you are fitted for bespoke ordering another pair requires nothing more than writing a two sentence email and waiting.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I was in NYC, I would get fitted by the contact working with Koronya

If you have access to Leffot, just walk in and see if Steve has anything in your size range. Try them out and that will give you a good idea. You can always wait until Dean Girling comes by next month...get measured by him, and then see if what Steve has in your size fits...then you get the best of both worlds

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
sounds like a lot of fun to be measured an hour long. curious, what takes so much time?

He started by measuring the height of each knee while seated, to see if I had some kind of gait problem. Then most of the standard tape measurements of feet, plus some up the calf to the knee. Tracings of the foot outline from above and the side. Then the whole thing again-- measurements and tracings-- while standing. Maybe again without socks, too. Plus height and weight. Plus foot-prints on the blue gel-pad-- sitting and standing, I think. Plus photos of feet and calves, all angles (sitting and standing)...

I'm sure I've forgotten some of it so there might have been other things.

At the end of it, he seemed pretty confident that he could ship a finished pair to the US. If I were to come to Vienna this summer he could, of course, make any necessary corrections as well as sell me another pair.
smile.gif

The only makers I've seen who approach this level of thoroughness in measurements are Perry Ercolino and (to a slightly lesser extent) Maftei.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maftei has a representative in Wellesley, MA.
what would a ballpark cost for Maftei bespoke?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
He started by measuring the height of each knee while seated, to see if I had some kind of gait problem. Then most of the standard tape measurements of feet, plus some up the calf to the knee. Tracings of the foot outline from above and the side. Then the whole thing again-- measurements and tracings-- while standing. Maybe again without socks, too. Plus height and weight. Plus foot-prints on the blue gel-pad-- sitting and standing, I think. Plus photos of feet and calves, all angles (sitting and standing)...

I'm sure I've forgotten some of it so there might have been other things.

sounds like a good and interesting experience.

At the end of it, he seemed pretty confident that he could ship a finished pair to the US. If I were to come to Vienna this summer he could, of course, make any necessary corrections as well as sell me another pair.
smile.gif

certainly he can, what has nothing to do with his general approach.

never understood and will probably never understand, why people have a first bespoke order shipped. horses for courses.

looking for your updates. keep us informed.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
what would a ballpark cost for Maftei bespoke?

Depends on the type of sole and to a lesser extent, the leather. But I think 700 Euros will get you in the game.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
never understood and will probably never understand, why people have a first bespoke order shipped. horses for courses.

Or foreign countries. I may be in Salzburg next January so will try to wiggle through his shop if I haven't before then. Of course, if the first pair is perfect then we're off to the races.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course, if the first pair is perfect then we're off to the races.

sure
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But I think 700 Euros will get you in the game.

correct. has been confirmed last week by a frequent customer.

initial fee for your custom last: € 100,-
upcharge for welted construction: € 100,-

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pics would be highly appreciated.

Here are a few pairs from pictures in the file. But I think these have been posted here before ... and/or at AAAC.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
these are my favorite. thanks for posting.
I know I've told this story before ... those are the ones that arrived the day we were moving from New York to California. They apparently were thrown (not by yours truly I don't think) into a box destined for the basement ... and remained there for well more than a decade ... assumed lost.

I discovered them only a day before I met A Harris (forum member) who was up to fit me for some Vass shoes. I recall bringing them into the office for him to see. It was he who introduced me to the on-line fora.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I know I've told this story before ... those are the ones that arrived the day we were moving from New York to California. They apparently were thrown (not by yours truly I don't think) into a box destined for the basement ... and remained there for well more than a decade ... assumed lost.

I discovered them only a day before I met A Harris (forum member) who was up to fit me for some Vass shoes. I recall bringing them into the office for him to see. It was he who introduced me to the on-line fora.

They are very nice,Cleverley? Shame that they were gone lost for 10 yrs.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I know I've told this story before ... those are the ones that arrived the day we were moving from New York to California. They apparently were thrown (not by yours truly I don't think) into a box destined for the basement ... and remained there for well more than a decade ... assumed lost. I discovered them only a day before I met A Harris (forum member) who was up to fit me for some Vass shoes. I recall bringing them into the office for him to see. It was he who introduced me to the on-line fora.
nice story. i hope, they still fit you, it would be a pity otherwise. what did you get from vass?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
If I was in NYC, I would get fitted by the contact working with Koronya

If you have access to Leffot, just walk in and see if Steve has anything in your size range. Try them out and that will give you a good idea. You can always wait until Dean Girling comes by next month...get measured by him, and then see if what Steve has in your size fits...then you get the best of both worlds

Many thanks Michael Ay329! On Koronya experiences, there is a new interesting thread though..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads