• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When There Are Two Buttons on Dress Shirt Sleeve

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
When there are two buttons on a dress shirt sleeve, am I supposed to use:

1. The narrower button or
2. The wider button or
3. Whichever fits my wrist better?

Also, I read on this forum that generally about 1/2 inch of sleeve should show when wearing a suit jacket (from hands at rest by side position I assume).

I see some designers showing models with a full inch or even two inches showing! How much is really "acceptable" by "conventional" standards? Is one inch the maximum or is it 1/2 inch?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and

Yes.

and

1" is a lot, but depends on your size. Some can pull it off.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually remove one I think two and only one fuctioning looks cheap

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Remove both and put one where it should be to fit best.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
And how tight should the cuff be around the wrist?
As tight or loose as you like it.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
It a way for the shirt maker to cut down on inventory and only carry one shirt for both sleeve lengths. Quality dress shirts have exact sleeve lengths, never with a double button on the cuff to make for an adjustment that fits two sizes.

If you find a shirt you love, but it has the double buttons ("size adjustment") on the shirt cuff see which button works best, and cut the other one off!

If the dress shirt sleeves and the suit or sports jacket sleeves are properly sized, a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of shirt sleeve will show below the end of the jacket sleeve.

The tradition of showing one's shirt cuffs comes from the style during the Renaissance of frilly shirt cuffs sticking out of the jacket sleeve. Only those of higher social classes could wear fancy shirts (with frills, and ruffles), whereas lower classes wore plain shirts. Plus it presents a balanced appearance.

Andy

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Understood.

I wear a largish wristwatch, especially in comparison to my thin wrist, so I like having the flexibility of two buttons.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
Understood.

I wear a largish wristwatch, especially in comparison to my thin wrist, so I like having the flexibility of two buttons.

No problem, I do the same. You could always put two on in the best "watch" and "non-watch" positions.

For most shirts, the tightness of the cuff is what will determine how far the shirt falls past your wrist and onto your hand. This is why the tightness is both important, and a matter of preference. Different makers' shirts will have different default cuff sizes. If you don't adjust the button, they will fall to a different length, and change the amount of cuff you're showing beyond your jacket.

A perfectly fitted shirt could (if the wearer preferred) be made to fall exactly to the right length with the cuff undone. In this case, the cuff could be adjusted purely for comfort level with no regard to keeping it from falling too far.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Different makers' shirts will have different default cuff sizes. If you don't adjust the button, they will fall to a different length, and change the amount of cuff you're showing beyond your jacket.
I have dealt with this by getting my shirt sleeve length altered. I have to do this anyway, because my left and right arms are different lengths (about 1/2 inch difference).

joseanes

Reaction score
This is what I do.
Untill it falls naturally at 4.25" from my thumb.
Yes, I mark with a pen on my skin where it should fall and test it...

Originally Posted by j
Remove both and put one where it should be to fit best.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to sew a button. Your cleaner or tailor will probably do it for free.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Untill it falls naturally at 4.25" from my thumb.
I share your preference. At that length, it definately shows an almost perfect amount of cuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads