• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When style goes horribly, horribly wrong

skeen

Reaction score
I can't find the thread now, and I don't want to pick on anyone or anything like that, but when browsing this forum yesterday, I saw someone post themselves in their new outfit: some feminine stripey long cardigan dress thing, with some kind of woolly thick tights, and high tops.

All the items were from prominent designers, but it looked like the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen. I am shocked that designer names can compel people to look so utterly ridiculous, to the point it looks like a spoof, and they could actually go outside looking like that!

Are some people really that deep into fashion, that they're completely disconnected from the real world? Please discuss.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skeen
I can't find the thread now, and I don't want to pick on anyone or anything like that, but when browsing this forum yesterday, I saw someone post themselves in their new outfit: some feminine stripey long cardigan dress thing, with some kind of woolly thick tights, and high tops.

All the items were from prominent designers, but it looked like the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen. I am shocked that designer names can compel people to look so utterly ridiculous, to the point it looks like a spoof, and they could actually go outside looking like that!

Are some people really that deep into fashion, that they're completely disconnected from the real world? Please discuss.

go ahead - name them. We all know who it is anyway
fight[1].gif

Eagle

Reaction score
...All the items were from prominent designers, but it looked like the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen. I am shocked that designer names can compel people to look so utterly ridiculous, to the point it looks like a spoof, and they could actually go outside looking like that!

Designers won't make it, if we don't buy it. Paraphrasing 'Pogo', "we have seen the enemy...and he is us!" There is no one to blame but, ourselves.
eh.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Are you talking about my Raf Simons sweater?

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Making a thread just to bash someone? Well I guess that is what it takes to make some people feel better about themselves. GL with life.

Didn't that OP make a thread to brag about his uber watch and then beg for help finding a suit? Not to be a ass but I think thats calling the kettle black.

skeen

Reaction score
Again, I don't intend to bash anyone. I'm new here, I thought the pic I saw was very old, and because there's a trillion posts on this forum, hadn't considered that individual would be around to see this thread.

People choose the clothes they wear - it's not as if I'm insulting someone because of who they are. I'm not intending to insult anyone at all, I'm merely trying to understand.

I wouldn't consider myself as "begging" for help to find my suit, but of course I did ask for advice. As for posting my watch, it was not to brag...I worked hard for it, and a lot of peoples' suits here are worth more, I merely wanted to share, just as all of you share your items, and wares.

Once again, I don't mean any offense, I do not intend to cause a stir, I just want to understand how people can wear, shall we say outlandish (if that's appropriate?) clothing in an effort to look good. It's just a bit odd to me.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

Once again, I don't mean any offense, I do not intend to cause a stir, I just want to understand how people can wear, shall we say outlandish (if that's appropriate?) clothing in an effort to look good. It's just a bit odd to me.

Who said I was trying to "look good" for you?

mshow.jpg

Which was it?

rafrun.jpg

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the record -- the goofiest outfits i've ever seen.

<3

skeen

Reaction score
SoCal2NYC, all I can say is I apologize, and I am embarrassed to have made such a terrible first impression on this forum. Clearly I didn't express enough tact. But I have to say, with all respect to you, and with complete honesty, I am still confused.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
SoCal2NYC, all I can say is I apologize, and I am embarrassed to have made such a terrible first impression on this forum. Clearly I didn't express enough tact. But I have to say, with all respect to you, and with complete honesty, I am still confused.

Don't apologize.

If you're confused then I've done part of my job.

litho

Reaction score
I am shocked by the attached images. My opinion is people who dress this way are extremely insecure, and poorly over-compensate in trying to appear otherwise.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
If I saw you walking down the street in those SoCal, I'd appreciate that you were wearing something different. I like it when I can't simply predict what every person I encounter will be dressed like. After this acknowledgment, though, I'd still think the outfit was a bit ugly. I don't really like the effect of radically elongating the torso that it has. Still, props to you for going for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads