• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When people ask about your clothes, do you tell them where you got them?

ktown

Reaction score
Since picking up various items after joining SF, I've been complimented on several occasions for my clothes and shoes. Sometimes a guy will ask me where I got an item. I normally tell them where I got these items (bespoke suit, nice shoes) but in the back of my mind I kind of want to keep them my secret. Is that selfish?
sly.gif

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends who the person is, the item that they are referring to, how rare the item is and the price I got it for

I never tell my local peers where I purchase my sportscoats/suits from. None of them know of my got sites :) .Only my girlfriend knows and I told her if anything ask her wear i purchase my stuff just say "somewhere in NY" . A person that I would probably never bump into I would just tell them. For example yesterday I was at the BB Outlet store and the SA asked me where to purchase Double Breasted Sportscoats. I told him about SS,Indochino etc. I would never tell that to a local peer.

If its a basic SC such a a navy SC i would just tell local peers but if its a rare material or color I won't tell them.

As far as ties I will tell anyone where I got it from unless I got it at a steep discount. For example I wouldn't tell them about the Tom Ford outlet in NY or Century 21. If I was wearing a Hermes tie for example I would just go ahead and tell any of my local peers. They probably won't buy anyway if they seen the price tag. Same goes for shoes.

Anything else I really don't care about telling them unless its a rare item.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not exactly. I say "Goodwill," but I generally prefer to buy things at church-run thrifts, because they have better stuff.

If I were having stuff made, I guess I'd say that I had stuff made, but I probably wouldn't mention where.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone asks me, I take it as a compliment because they are probably impressed, curious and may possibly want to buy one for themselves. Personally, I tell them the truth. I can't think of a reason why not to.

YRR92,
if you thrifted something, who cares? Nothing wrong with being frugal. In fact it is very wise to save money wherever, whenever and however possible.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually say 'made locally'

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tell them I got it from Carlo Franco and Ambrosi Napoli

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Years ago I had a colleague in the Foreign Service
who wore exceptionally well-cut fine clothing.
He was also a scion of an old aristocratic Virginia
family (FFV). When I asked where he got that
suit, he replied "our family tailor in Richmond"

I'll never forget that answer, especially because it was undoubtedly true.

ktown

Reaction score
I'm necro-bumping this thread. The whole reason I started this thread is we had a new guy start in my group and he kept asking about my clothes. Sometimes I'd give him vague answers and other times I'd be more specific because it would just look weird if I kept dodging.

Anyway, he's upgraded his wardrobe over the last year and for the items I told him about, he went out and bought the exact same items. I'm not talking about a similar style from a different maker, or different style from the same maker. He has purchased multiple items that are exactly the same. This has happened all over the place - my glasses, my shirts, my shoes, etc. It looks ridiculous when we show up to work and we're wearing practically identical outfits.

I've tried making a couple of comments for him to get the hint (e.g. "Nice shoes you got there. They're the same as mine."). From now on I am going to keep all this **** secret from him as I see no other course of action to take. Just thought I'd share.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yawn, why did you not just say that in the first place?

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm necro-bumping this thread. The whole reason I started this thread is we had a new guy start in my group and he kept asking about my clothes. Sometimes I'd give him vague answers and other times I'd be more specific because it would just look weird if I kept dodging.

Anyway, he's upgraded his wardrobe over the last year and for the items I told him about, he went out and bought the exact same items. I'm not talking about a similar style from a different maker, or different style from the same maker. He has purchased multiple items that are exactly the same. This has happened all over the place - my glasses, my shirts, my shoes, etc. It looks ridiculous when we show up to work and we're wearing practically identical outfits.

I've tried making a couple of comments for him to get the hint (e.g. "Nice shoes you got there. They're the same as mine."). From now on I am going to keep all this **** secret from him as I see no other course of action to take. Just thought I'd share.

Is this guy's surname "Doppelganger" by any chance?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads