• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When (or where) do you wear black tie?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those with a tuxedo, when do you wear it? Mine hasn't been getting enough use.

I think I'll wear it to the opera in a few weeks, and to a club annual dinner (where it is required), but after that, I'm spent. Maybe to a buddy's bachelor party?
laugh.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spouse is a lawyer and we cruise a lot. Also we take ballroom dance lessons. Between those three, it accounts for most of my wearings each year.

Definitely sees more usage this time of year than any other. Beyond these, I'll likely see only a couple more events a year...that is, unless we take the other cruise we're considering this year.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dinner parties and social events where strangers are present: dinner suit and calf opera pumps.

Dinner parties with friends: tartan shawl dinner jacket and embroidered Alberts.

- B

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually just wear a suit to the opera, and our subscription was only 6 this year because of the ring cycle. Where I sit, up with the rabble in the cheap seats, I have seen some horrible things. Including flip flops. The ballet might even be worse.

I have two weddings to go to in 2009, but one is on a beach, and the other is in a barn. I am not kidding.

baldy[1].gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I have two weddings to go to in 2009, but one is on a beach, and the other is in a barn. I am not kidding.

baldy[1].gif

Perhaps you should get married more often.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Dinner parties and social events where strangers are present: dinner suit and calf opera pumps.

Dinner parties with friends: tartan shawl dinner jacket and embroidered Alberts.

- B

Can you explain this?

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- B

B., what kind of embroidery do you have on your Albert slippers? Your initials? A motif?

To the OP, I've worn my DJ less than once a year since I graduated college. I guess I'm not fancy enough. It got pretty good use in school though.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Can you explain this?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can you explain this?

Family habit.

Generally, when I was growing up, odd dinner jackets and house slippers were for home parties. The men wouldn't wear those going out.

Needless to say, dress up home parties are rare these days. I have only one this year, and none at all in the previous two.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
B., what kind of embroidery do you have on your Albert slippers? Your initials? A motif?

To the OP, I've worn my DJ less than once a year since I graduated college. I guess I'm not fancy enough. It got pretty good use in school though.

I have several, including initials and motifs.

No coronets though. That's why we kicked out the British.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Family habit.

Generally, when I was growing up, odd dinner jackets and house slippers were for home parties. The men wouldn't wear those going out.

Needless to say, dress up home parties are rare these days. I have only one this year, and none at all in the previous two.

- B

I get that, though when I have a party at home I cook, so black tie is out of the question. Hence, no tartan jackets in my closet. Also, if I tried to host a black tie party at home, I don't think I could get anyone to come.

What I was more confused about the first statement.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I get that, though when I have a party at home I cook, so black tie is out of the question. Hence, no tartan jackets in my closet.

Yeah, the setup is usually only feasible if the hosts have a cook and staff. The last two I've been to were hosted by other foodie friends, and in each case there was a local chef who came into cook. But, it is a dying (or dead in most places) type of evening.

Also, if I tried to host a black tie party at home, I don't think I could get anyone to come.

When we've done it, it is always for a birthday or NYE-ish thing.

What I was more confused about the first statement.

You mean this one?

All I meant was that I do not wear an odd dinner jacket to functions where there will be people I do not know, unless it is summer or we're traveling to someplace warm, in which case an ivory jacket would be okay.

- B

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just mine wedding this year, then after that, prob. just when going on cruise.
Wanted to wear to mine company's dinner party last year, but decided it might have been over kill

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads