• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When its time to trash old shoes?

Johnson

Reaction score
I have cheap shoes that look fine except they have plications on leather in front top, though they good condition generally, is this reason to trash em and buy new ones?

I don't know anything about clothing, i like guy from cave when it comes to clothing.
blush.gif
so please tell me shoes should look brand new and this tendency to have plications on leather is only at cheap leather or any leather can act like this with time so should i replace expensive shoes as well when this happens to them?

......lk6.jpg

shoesnq0.jpg

well-kept

Reaction score
TOP THREE GUIDELINES FOR LIFE.
> Keep them as long as they make you happy.
> Throw them out when you don't want them anymore.
> Don't let plications get you down.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
The uppers look good for a little more wear to me; I would say chuck them when the creases (which you will find with prctically all shoes given time and wear) become cracks. What concerns me is that from the side view it appears that there is a crack extending from the point at which the sole and heel join almost to the welt, or is this just a trick of the light? If not, and there really is a crack there, it might be bin time now or very soon.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't want them anymore and they remain serviceable, there's always charity instead of the trash, don't forget.

Johnson

Reaction score
The plications on uppers look make me look like cheap man who cant afford new shoes, i don't like that - going to trash em, and yes there is crack in the sole already i just noticed it on picture.
plain.gif

Originally Posted by josepidal
If you don't want them anymore and they remain serviceable, there's always charity instead of the trash, don't forget.
I hate that, besides i already live in third world country people are actually selling this second hands goods they get from America, they make money on it, so its not charity its more charity here to trash goods because theres always people on dump or who check trash containers who can take em, but i dont like that. Usually when i trash clothes i cut it to peaces so no one could wear it after me, i hate people wearing my old clothes, and besides i paid for it, i don't feel like giving it out for free.
devil.gif

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnson
The plications on uppers look make me look like cheap man who cant afford new shoes, i don't like that - going to trash em, and yes there is crack in the sole already i just noticed it on picture.
plain.gif

I hate that, besides i already live in third world country people are actually selling this second hands goods they get from America, they make money on it, so its not charity its more charity here to trash goods because theres always people on dump or who check trash containers who can take em, but i dont like that. Usually when i trash clothes i cut it to peaces so no one could wear it after me, i hate people wearing my old clothes, and besides i paid for it, i don't feel like giving it out for free.
devil.gif

Right. I'm assuming that was said tongue in cheek.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnson
I hate that, besides i already live in third world country people are actually selling this second hands goods they get from America, they make money on it, so its not charity its more charity here to trash goods because theres always people on dump or who check trash containers who can take em, but i dont like that.

Actually, there is much truth to this. Also, the fact that people take the charity handouts puts local makers and sellers in 3rd world countries out of business. This ends up decimating the local textile industry thus further rendering 3rd world countries depended on foreign aide.

well-kept

Reaction score
com-plications, ex-plications, sup-plications.

Mr. Johnson, I don't know which third world country you live in but even in the United States there are poor people for whom any pair of shoes might mean the ability to work, survival, protection from cold and heat. Anyone who would wear your castoffs is very much entitled to them in my view.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious - which country do you live in, Johnson?

I'd say keep those shoes until you find a pair which you prefer... then you could wear these on rainy-weather days only.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
+1, althouh be careful with you you donate to. Weveral years ago I gave three Kiton sportcoats to an orginazation which gave clothing to people re-entering the workforce and they ended up on EBAY.

calvin1663

Reaction score
^+1

my dad's got shoes since he was at high school, they've got massive holes in them, but he gets them resoled every 5 years or so, just loves them like hell...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads