• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When it's good to be overdressed

dsmolken

Reaction score
What are some occasions when being totally overdressed compared to what's expected or normal works well?

I'd say small art exhibit openings at non-big-name galleries are one. You will stick out in a very positive way among the artsy university students wearing clothes that loudly say "I don't have a real job and hope I never have to get one", plus a few poor guys who are only there for the free wine. The only people with a tie on might be the artist and university professors.

Taxler

Reaction score
Dress for yourself and as you otherwise would; even an artist can determine if what's on the cover is the same as what's in the book.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is ideal to wear things that no "creative" person would ever think of wearing at these art shindigs. For example, formal suits and large Western hats are things people in creative fields never wear.

RedLetterDay

Reaction score
Grocery stores, the ladies love it... Wait, what.

Seriously though the one that sticks out the most to me is the first time I've met/had dinner with the family of any of my ex-girlfriends. I don't wear a tux or anything like that but I usually dress slightly more refined than I think someone normally would.

Cards & Cubs

Reaction score
RedLetterDay, just for clarification, do you mean when you have dinner with your then-girlfriends' parents or your already-exgirlfriends' parents?

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on a desert island...

blog_04170601.jpg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's silly to be purposefully overdressed. Dress for the ocassion. If others are underdressed then you look smart.

RedLetterDay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cards & Cubs
RedLetterDay, just for clarification, do you mean when you have dinner with your then-girlfriends' parents or your already-exgirlfriends' parents?

Hahah, I mean my "then" girlfriend. Don't think I've had dinner with any of their parents after we've broken up.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
on a desert island...

blog_04170601.jpg

This made me LOL. Well-done.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I think it's silly to be purposefully overdressed. Dress for the ocassion. If others are underdressed then you look smart.

While I agree, I've found myself going from work to a bar or restaurant and you get better treatment and you'll notice women, sitting with men, turn their heads to look at you. It's nice and it feels good.

Last week, I visited a friend in the hospital right after work. He was at San Francisco General, which gets all the rif-raf of San Fran. When I was talking to the nurses there, who usually are jaded people due to the type of patients they deal with, they were very accommodating and respectful. I don't know - maybe that's how they always are there. I'm just making assumptions on this last part.

Jaxson612

Reaction score
As I tell my my sons, there's no shame being the best dressed guy in the room...

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jaxson612
As I tell my my sons, there's no shame being the best dressed guy in the room...

Except you're the guy handed the check after dinner.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think once you dip down to business casual and blow, anything is fair game short of a suit. I have no idea what my friends are going to wear when we go out, so I don't bother guessing, and wear an odd jacket with trousers, a tie, and pocket square. I rarely wear a suit to a social event that doesn't require one.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It is ideal to wear things that no "creative" person would ever think of wearing at these art shindigs. For example, formal suits and large Western hats are things people in creative fields never wear.
Exactly! That works wonderfully for convincing all those college girls you're an interesting guy who appreciates art and has a real job (unlike all the men they know).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads