1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

When is the Next Ralph Lauren Sale?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stant62, Mar 3, 2011.

1. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

Lol. Better? I've had the current Spurs manager for the last few years, but got a little lazy the last week as I've been traveling.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Orange is a better sweater for fall than winter. I wore it with denim, chinos, and grey pants. As long as you ground bright sweaters with basics, they work very well

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

They have held up great - I get several seasons of wear out of them if I don't destroy them with stains or anything. I have a yellow one that is four or five years old that still looks very good. I agree with Zipphy - they are higher quality than J Crew (they stretch less and pill less). J Crew is OK for "basic colors" as it appears the RL "basic" colors at most get the standard private sale price (30% + 15% kicker) as opposed to the deep discounts, leaving them more expensive than the J Crew on sale. I have no experience with BB cashmere. I bought my first Johnston of Elgin cable knit recently and will have a better feel in a few months, but at first glance they are at least as good as RL and probably a bit better (and even more slim fitting).

Many people give the RL cashmere crap for being "Made in China of Italian Yarn" or whatever, but I have found them to be very high quality. I have older ones that were made in Macau (still "China" I know) and I haven't noticed any difference in quality. The super fancy in Scottish and Italian cashmere is probably better but can start at $1,000

Bakes, a poster on the Alden thread, also has good reviews of the cable knits

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  4. magicspot

magicspot Well-Known Member

I just went in for a few more blue label cashmere v necks. Bought a purple label v earlier and some crew neck blue labels.

I don't have any experience with these just by reputation. Nice to hear people speak highly of them.

Btw Anyone have experience with the light weight cashmere crew neck? Ordered that too.

5. justsayno

justsayno Senior member

I owned 2 cable knit cashmere sweaters and they pilled after every wear. My Cucinelli cashmere and Colombo sweaters on the other hand never pilled.

6. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

But are they worth the price at $150?

7. justsayno

justsayno Senior member

Looking back, if I were wiser, I would pay more up front and get done with it.

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Excessive pilling is a common complaint with a variety of brands; I haven't really experienced it on RL cashmere sweaters (I've been buying them for 10 years)

IMO they are worth close to full retail (though there is never a need to buy them at that price). The wide variety of colors is also nice. Most of the higher end Italian cashmere comes in shades of navy and grey or tan. No slate blue, orange, purple, red, green, etc

9. Fitnesschrizzz

Fitnesschrizzz Active Member

Where did you guys get the promo codes?

I did not get any Email from Ralph Lauren with promo codes!!!!!!!

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

11. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

is the final markdown 60% off marked price or 40% off? i can't remember... :(

12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I wasn't familiar with Retailmenot until the past few days. How does it work - retailers are providing coupons or the site in exchange for some kind of kickback from Retailmenot?

I own a decent amount of RL stock, so I don't want discounts to get too good ;)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

So that's why you've been shilling the cashmere sweaters! :)

Retailmenot has been around a while. I think they started out as just a coupon code aggregator with user provided codes but now they seem to have exclusives. They've even been advertising on TV lately.

14. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I stopped in a local RL store today, and the 40% off merchandise from pre-Christmas is now an additional 40% off. I walked out with a Black Label suit at 40% + 40% off (i.e.: 64% off in total) , plus some shirts. I don't remember the last sale that has been this good; I've never personally seen the BL suits this low. The place was a zoo, and the sales person said things are selling out quickly.

I checked some things online that I wanted and that weren't in stock in the store. For things that are on sale in both places, store prices are lower. But some things not on sale in the store are on sale online, as well as inventory being different between the two. I suggest if you're near a store you check it out to see if there's anything you like.

I know cashmere sweaters and some suits are on sale in store (if they carry it), as well as odd Purple and Black label shirts.

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Yeah, I've been buying RL since high school (my old address is still in the RL computers) and I don't remember discounts this deep

16. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

sorry to burst your bubble but the discounts have gotten this deep every season since 2008 (when i started buying RL)...

i stopped by the boston store and the selection was a little disappointing, and the prices really weren't that good compared to previous years thanks to a pretty drastic inflation of the original retail price, e.g. RLBL shirts going from $325 -> $350 and now a ridiculous $395. $120 after all discounts is not bad for a shirt like that but the sizing was limited and the patterns they did have in my size were awful compared to last season SS13 where they had tons left over in my size.

of course YMMV depending on store.

17. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

PRL cashmere's sale prices are good, same with women's bag, other things just seem more like the same discount on higher prices, though that has been a general industry trend lately...

18. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I can't disagree with either of these comments. The only Black/Purple item prices I have tracked are suits, and I'm pretty happy with the deal I got on the suit, and it was much better than online sale prices. Not sure about price inflation on other items.

Store selection is definitely spotty. Not only does it depend on what they have left in stock, but they have small/specialized selections to begin with if you are not in one of the flagship stores in NY. It is a YMMV thing, but worth checking if you have one nearby.

Cashmere prices seem good, but cashmere is on sale everywhere these days.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  19. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Swung by the mansion yesterday after work and didn't see anything I liked. Was not crowded at all.

20. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

It was not crowded earlier today when I stopped by. I left empty-handed.