• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

letsgofire

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers ecommerce is AWFUL at stuff like this.

I placed two orders this month at BB. No email confirmations, shipping info, or anything. The items just showed up, (later than they were supposed to). I called up the Customer 'Service' line and even after speaking to the supervisor, Brooks Brothers' position was that this was somehow my fault and that I should have added my email to the order. This was astonishing considering you have to input your email to access the account... Also I asked them to email me the order confirmations for my files and they never did. Set expectations low.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I placed two orders this month at BB. No email confirmations, shipping info, or anything. The items just showed up, (later than they were supposed to). I called up the Customer 'Service' line and even after speaking to the supervisor, Brooks Brothers' position was that this was somehow my fault and that I should have added my email to the order. This was astonishing considering you have to input your email to access the account... Also I asked them to email me the order confirmations for my files and they never did. Set expectations low.
Yea lol. She said I would get an email once it shipped, but I asked if she could resend the order confirmation email and she said she could not. She could only read me an order confirmation number over the phone. How dumb.

Anyway, I just hope they show up. I've been eyeing these for over a year now (Alden tassel mocs in natty chromexcel).

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also had orders stay in pending this month and not go through (3 of them).

Also, I had an order shipped to my fiancee and decided to return it. When my fiancee went to return it in store she was told they can't refund online order back to Paypal or even an original CC unless you have CC with you on hand. Kind of shocking as all other retailers aren't like this in this day and age. Calling customer service was fruitless as they held their stance.

Other stores you just take your online return to a store and they automatically refund you on the original payment method.

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ended up being a medium in Red Fleece. Same as my J Crew slim size and I am a medium in almost all things. The large had too much material around the waist. The oxford shirt fits slightly more snug around chest and shoulders than my J Crew slim oxford though. Not enough to size up.

My conclusion is a lot of the Red Fleece reviews online complaining about the sizing being too small are from Brooks Brothers regular line demographic. If you already wear slim garments no need to size up.

Last edited:

JIMB

Reaction score
Seeing this thread reminds me.
Code BC1818 takes 15%. It works on sale stuff including all the Aldens on sale.
Takes cordo LHS and tassels under $500.
Basically listed sale shoes with an original retail of about $550 and above are Aldens.

Thanks, picked up the unlined loafers. Hope they fit!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a few OCBD's, the pocketless version that retails for $140. Using a BB credit card, the shirts ended up at $75/ea. Milano Advantage chino dropped to $59.

NYCAssociate

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Is the BB Winter Sale going on online right now a good deal? I'm in the market for a suit (I'll need it in about 6 months), and it looks like they have 1818s for $600 (as well as 4/$200 dress shirts). If you can't tell, this is my first time buying a proper suit, so I'm not sure if this is something to jump on.

Norwester

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Is the BB Winter Sale going on online right now a good deal? I'm in the market for a suit (I'll need it in about 6 months), and it looks like they have 1818s for $600 (as well as 4/$200 dress shirts). If you can't tell, this is my first time buying a proper suit, so I'm not sure if this is something to jump on.
I have been following their suit sales for awhile, and in my experience once a suit goes into the sale category it stays there. They have a permanent "sale" section among the links. About once a quarter they offer an additional 25% off of sale prices for select items, which would reduce the price to $450 on some (but not all) sale suits; the risk in waiting is they might run out of your size in the suit you want. Just a week ago they had an additional 25% off if you have a BB Mastercard. Given you have 6 months I'd say it's more likely than not that some decent 1818 suits will be at $450 between now and then, but they are very unlikely to go below that. The 4/$200 shirts is about as good as it gets. That's also a permanent fixture in their sale section, but the selection varies. Sometimes they have a special 4/$200 sale that includes a broad range of basic shirts, not just styles they want to clear out. So if you aren't pleased with the current selection I would wait. Around Father's day they have one of their big annual sales, which always includes a bunch of 4/$200 shirts. The key is to know your size and fit and be ready to jump on their limited-time sales.

NYCAssociate

Reaction score
I have been following their suit sales for awhile, and in my experience once a suit goes into the sale category it stays there. They have a permanent "sale" section among the links. About once a quarter they offer an additional 25% off of sale prices for select items, which would reduce the price to $450 on some (but not all) sale suits; the risk in waiting is they might run out of your size in the suit you want. Just a week ago they had an additional 25% off if you have a BB Mastercard. Given you have 6 months I'd say it's more likely than not that some decent 1818 suits will be at $450 between now and then, but they are very unlikely to go below that. The 4/$200 shirts is about as good as it gets. That's also a permanent fixture in their sale section, but the selection varies. Sometimes they have a special 4/$200 sale that includes a broad range of basic shirts, not just styles they want to clear out. So if you aren't pleased with the current selection I would wait. Around Father's day they have one of their big annual sales, which always includes a bunch of 4/$200 shirts. The key is to know your size and fit and be ready to jump on their limited-time sales.

This is super helpful, thank you! If I don't know my measurements, would you recommend I try a BB suit on at the store? Or could I just get measured at a tailor and order online?

Norwester

Reaction score
This is super helpful, thank you! If I don't know my measurements, would you recommend I try a BB suit on at the store? Or could I just get measured at a tailor and order online?
I would definitely go into a BB store if you can and try on their suits (or sport coats, which fit similarly). You need to figure out not only chest size but also fit. They currently have 3 fits (Milano, Regent, Madison) going from slim to traditional boxy. A tailor can take in the waist or shorten the sleeves on the jacket, but different models fit differently in the chest which is not easily changed. The waist size of the pants is fixed at 6" less than the chest so there's no choice there but to tailor them if necessary. Another thing to pay attention to is the ankle opening of the pants; a couple years ago BB went for the skinny look, and you can see in some of the suit photos on BB's site that the pants are skinnier below the knees than on their classic 1818 suits. They seem to have now returned to a normal leg opening, but a lot of the sale suits are skinny legs and the only way to tell is from the photos. Also, some of the sale suits are Saxxon wool which is a slightly nicer quality fabric, though I would opt for whatever pattern looks best. Finally, there is a promotional code BC1818 which currently takes 15% off the sale price (enter it on the checkout page). I have no idea how long that will last or if it would stack on top of the occasional 25% off.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still have two charges from Brooks Brothers sitting as pending on paypal. The items never shipped as the orders did not go through. But it's been almost a month and they are still not getting removed?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I still have two charges from Brooks Brothers sitting as pending on paypal. The items never shipped as the orders did not go through. But it's been almost a month and they are still not getting removed?

The paypal support page says 30 days.
The associated pending charges on my CC went away after about a week.

Bostonian

Reaction score
Quick question re: Brooks Shirt sizes

I’m a size 42 chest, 16 neck, 35 waist, 34 sleeve.

I usually wear size large in Red Fleece and the sleeves are a tad long but totally tolerable. The waist is a little roomy but the shoulders fit well. It’s one of the best off OTR fits I’ve found.

I’d like to expand my options beyond Red Fleece. Would a large Milano be comparable? Medium Regent, maybe?

Last edited:

Orbis881

Reaction score
This happened to me 4 times. The first two dropped off after a week, and I'm currently waiting for the other 2. I used AmazonPay and then my CC.

It can be pretty inconvenient aside from not getting the items I was intending to order.

I thought I was the only one experiencing the errors. I hope BB fixes their eCommerce issue.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question re: Brooks Shirt sizes

I’m a size 42 chest, 16 neck, 35 waist, 34 sleeve.

I usually wear size large in Red Fleece and the sleeves are a tad long but totally tolerable. The waist is a little roomy but the shoulders fit well. It’s one of the best off OTR fits I’ve found.

I’d like to expand my options beyond Red Fleece. Would a large Milano be comparable? Medium Regent, maybe?

I would guess a large Milano. Might also want to check out J Crew slim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads