When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, May 12, 2011.

1. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Gotta say, I'd probably never think to buy gator anything, but these are pretty swell. Nice score, congrats man! Keep these instead of the ostrich. They're much sexier. :slayer:

2. lithdoc

lithdoc Well-Known Member

The problem I have with stuff made in the third world, that BB still has nerve to charge you $500 for a blazer made in China or Thailand, while their cost of manufacturing is a small fraction what it would be had it been made here and at the same time an American lost their job. When you buy something at JCP or Kohl's for $10, at least you know this could not have been made here because it makes no economical sense. But when you shell out $250 for a sweater made in China or $500 for a blazer made in Thailand, it makes you wonder how much their margins have increased, because it doesn't look like they're passing the savings to us.

3. Philip

Philip Senior member

I'd be more concerned about whether they're increasing margins over labour wages than consumers missing out on a good deal.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Why would I be concerned with what the "average" person thinks about clothes? Country of origin matters to me, and I'll spend my money however I like. Thanks for your concern.

5. Patek

Patek Senior member

Thanks! Ostrich are in as I can wear them with anything. Still debating these as I'm not sure how to wear them.

6. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

Country of origin, anymore, can be hard to trace. When I desire, I will chose a "Made in USA" product. Typically it's when that product represents the best bang for the buck. Often it means paying more, but the perceived value is better. But don't forget, any more, frequently the ability resides elsewhere (the weaving equipment, for example).

What I hear is that people perceived they are being cheated. If that's the case, then shop elsewhere. Truth is, up until about 2005, the US pursued policies which hastened the departure of apparel manufacturing in the US. As I mentioned earlier, England went through the same thing more than a century ago. Fabric and apparel is the bottom rung of the manufacturing base, frankly. It moves ever more quickly from the lowest rung to the next lowest rung in the race to the bottom. There are some trends working that may reverse, for some items and for the time being, some of this...the prohibition vs. indulgence trend will have people skimping on many items (a sweater made in China), but paying up for others (say, a pair of Alden). It might be the case, as an earlier post mentioned, that near sourcing makes a come-back because of transportation and lead-time expenses. Or, as I'd suggested, maybe we simply want to know who made our clothes and feel a connection to them.

Anyway...so, what I want to know is, when's the next sale? I'm hoping for some new styles of shoes to hit the 40% mark. It killed me that they didn't discount the suede perf medallion shoes.

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

This thread is about BB sales and not about discussing the merits of the country of origin

8. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance Senior member

Am I blind or does Brooks Brothers not list chest and shoulder measurements on their site? Trying to buy some dress shirts, but hard to buy when no measurements listed.

9. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

You mean the "Size Guide" tab right next to the "Overview" tab (just to the right of the picture)? Scroll down towards the bottom and it looks like they've got some info on those dimensions. They expect you to do the math on the various fits.

10. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance Senior member

Ah ok thanks, I see it now, but damn even the extra slim fit seems pretty large. 16" neck gives you a 45 1/2" chest measurement. God damn. Guess ill just have to check it out in person.

11. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

I've read many others complain about this...the chest works for me in the extra slim...my middle aged gut, however, means I have to go up to the Slim. Still looks better than nearly everything else out there.

But something seems off about that dimension...Further down shows a 16" neck as having a 42" chest.

12. urfloormatt

urfloormatt Well-Known Member

Basically, there's a sale at the end of every fiscal quarter. Friends and Family Events are in March and September and will offer 25% off to cardholders. If you have a corporate discount, there are usually additional incentives a week ahead of the Friends and Family Event. Semi-annual sales are in June and December.

13. lithdoc

lithdoc Well-Known Member

My SA told me the buy 3 items get 50% off starts 1/6/12

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Has anyone had any luck getting a price adjustment? I just bought three ties on Friday, and I wouldn't mind getting 50% instead of 40% off.

15. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

within 10 days is fine for price adjustment