When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, May 12, 2011.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

The tailors at the N. Michigan Ave. (Chicago) store generally do good work, but I had a few mishaps. Mario is the best of the group.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

The shirts are the only thing for sure made in USA. Most knits are made in China now (a few in Scotland from last season) and coats are Romania or Hungary.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I just bought two sweaters and they are from China. The suits are all USA made.

4. Shorty Long

Shorty Long Senior member

When you go to the BB site, there is a "Made in America" menu choice under the "Categories" heading.

5. lithdoc

lithdoc Well-Known Member

I'm very big on "made in USA" and I must say, the things you can buy has been shrinking at a huge rate... Very few of their blazers are now made here, most are from china and thailand. Knits, polos are from china. Majority of dress shirts are from malaysia. Some of the sport coats are made here, while others in canada and mexico. In women's section, I don't think there is a thing that has been made here.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

You can't really fault them for the dress shirts. All of the no-iron shirts are made outside the US. I can't recall if this is due to EPA regulation, or patent issues, but something that is purported to be the reason.

There are still a good number of must iron shirts made here. Every one of my dress shirts come from BB and all are made in the USA.

7. forex

forex Senior member

+1, but then all my BB shirts are OCBDs and regular button downs.

8. ocbd

ocbd Member

Very helpful. I did not see this at first

9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Me too, with the exception of my five or so semi-spread collared Sea Island cotton GF shirts.

10. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

They still have a lot of stuff made in the US, Italy or England. All regular finish shirts are made in the US. Many ties made in the US, 1818 suits, BBBF suits, GF suits and MTM made in the US. Peal and Co shoes made in England, other shoes made by alden in the US or in italy(with the exception of the cheaper shoes more casual shoes) the list continues. The problem is everyone wants artisan made products or high quality products made by reputable makers but at made in China or 3rd world country prices

11. Philip

Philip Senior member

Except they aren't third world labour prices, especially for BBBF

12. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

Agreed. For the cost of the BBBF, I think most people expect First World production. Truth is, aside from cost, much of the production capacity has moved elsewhere. The US has lost something like 50% of it's production capacity in the last 10 years; It's been in steady decline since about 1950. It rocketed down when the MFA ended in 2005.

Some trends are pointing towards a strong interest in local and hyperlocal sourcing (say in food production) but who knows if it will extend all the way to clothing. Seems there are some local brands popping up (Baldwin, Dredger's Union come to mind).

If the quality is there, in the fabrics, detailing, then I'm not one to complain. I mean, the British when through the same thing a hundred years ago.

13. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Well there has been a lot of talk of "near-shoring" or bringing manufacturing back to the US due to increasing fuel prices. As a result of the fuel price spike a few years ago, shipments have slowed a week from China due to slowing down to conserve fuel.

The increased shipping costs from China and other Eastern Asian countries is leading to move production closer to, say Mexico or even South America. I think in the next few years, as the economy recovers further, manufacturing will increase here.

14. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

True. Although they did reduce the prices for BBBF. The first couple seasons of BF when things were made by caruso in Italy, suits started at a price point of 1800-2400ish. When the moved production to the US with Southwick, they sell at a price point of 1500$. Similarly their ties used to be $150/ea, dropped down now to $125. Part of the reason I think for not lowering the prices further(besides profit) is an attempt to protect the line as a designer/luxury line. While BF doesn't appeal to the mass audience, it has a niche market and often gets PR time in magazines like GQ, to try to draw people back into the brand. After 200 years BB has turned stale for the newer generations.

I do agree, as long as the quality is there. I don't really care where it's made

15. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

So it seems as though several users purchased suits. How does BB suits compare to Zegna/Isia (other OTR suits)?