• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've had orders require two full weeks to ship when every item was in stock. That's how BB operates online.

That's terrible, if it's not here by the end of next week I will cancel. My CC has already been charged and I don't even have the product yet.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been getting free shipping and BB has been sending everything two day air even though I'm not paying for it.
Received the wrong gator loafers today and snapped some pictures to compare them to my Guccis before returning them. Brown gators are arriving tomorrow:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/279068/thoughts-on-ostrich-loafers/30

Keep the gators, return the ostrich (and I like the ostrich). The gator are good-looking and an incredible deal. Ostrich is generally less expensive.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've had orders require two full weeks to ship when every item was in stock. That's how BB operates online.

That's terrible, if it's not here by the end of next week I will cancel. My CC has already been charged and I don't even have the product yet.

Charged or had a hold placed on it?
They don't charge the cc until they ship. But they put a hold on your CC right away.
Honestly, if they ship your order out this week, that's better than average for BB online.

A couple years ago I ordered 2 OCBDs which were "in stock and reserved". I received one relatively soon (for BB). A couple weeks later I got a call from customer service saying the 2nd shirt would take another few weeks and asked if I still wanted it. I cancelled.
About 2 months later the 2nd shirt showed up.

I ordered some shirts on xmas day. For whatever reason they couldn't get a cc authorization so I had to call in yesterday. Looks like they shipped out today and they upgraded me to overnight.

The order I placed on the 24th shipped out Monday. I didn't get the extra 20% but they were OOS on most of the items by the time the 25th rolled around.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mentioned this previously but the best option they have available is to pay the extra $5 for 2 day shipping. I know it kind of sucks to have to pay more, but with this option all my orders have shipped same or next day, and they use FedEx commercial shipping rather than home shipping, which is a lot more reliable.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I mentioned this previously but the best option they have available is to pay the extra $5 for 2 day shipping. I know it kind of sucks to have to pay more, but with this option all my orders have shipped same or next day, and they use FedEx commercial shipping rather than home shipping, which is a lot more reliable.

Worth a repost. This method is what I've found to work best otherwise, it could take from days to weeks to get your goods from BB

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything I ordered shipped and is set to arrive tomorrow (according to Fedex tracking), except for like one shirt. Ordered everything in the afternoon on Christmas and shipped out the 27th.

Last edited:

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I placed my order of 4 shirts on Dec 25 - all 4 were 'in stock and reserved.' They got shipped yesterday (Dec 27) and is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (Dec 29) according to FedEx tracking.

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Charged or had a hold placed on it?
They don't charge the cc until they ship. But they put a hold on your CC right away.
Honestly, if they ship your order out this week, that's better than average for BB online.
A couple years ago I ordered 2 OCBDs which were "in stock and reserved". I received one relatively soon (for BB). A couple weeks later I got a call from customer service saying the 2nd shirt would take another few weeks and asked if I still wanted it. I cancelled.
About 2 months later the 2nd shirt showed up.
I ordered some shirts on xmas day. For whatever reason they couldn't get a cc authorization so I had to call in yesterday. Looks like they shipped out today and they upgraded me to overnight.
The order I placed on the 24th shipped out Monday. I didn't get the extra 20% but they were OOS on most of the items by the time the 25th rolled around.

I dont understand why they are so bad about shipping their products our. I've placed several online orders through clothing company's and Brooks Brothers has been one of the slowest turn around times.
Worth a repost. This method is what I've found to work best otherwise, it could take from days to weeks to get your goods from BB

+1, I was actually thinking about your post when I was checking out and wish I had opted for the extra $5 now. I really want my shirts and tie. AHHH!
For $43 a shirt, I can wait a week or two.
True at $43 they probably are a good deal as I will most likely have to wait until this time next year to purchase BB quality (or comparable shirts) at that price. I just wish I could get them quicker. But these dress shirts should be my final purchases for the season.

Everything I ordered shipped and is set to arrive tomorrow (according to Fedex tracking), except for like one shirt. Ordered everything in the afternoon on Christmas and shipped out the 27th.

Damn you!

p.s. is anyone familiar with BB return policy if I do not have a receipt but have tags on the clothing?

Thanks for the replies

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
p.s. is anyone familiar with BB return policy if I do not have a receipt but have tags on the clothing?

They supposingly have a return any time policy where if you don't the receipt, they will still take it back at current prices. I'm not sure how friendly the SA will be at the store with this or if they will try to make an excuse. I'd be interested on your experience if you try it out since I have a bunch of slim fit shirts still in the sealed plastic that I never wore (since I switched to the ESF when they became available to me).

The most I've tested their policy was returning items ~ 2 mo after purchase, but the items were unworn, had the tags and receipts and they ended up taking it, but with a not-so-happy look.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you ordered online you can use your order confirmation for returns.

Last edited:

Johnny24

Reaction score
As per their return policy (sorry for the length):

I have had nothing but a positive experience in Brooks and even their outlet sotres when I go there to look for ties from the retail shops. I have returned ties at "346" that were a gift from my mother because they were too wide (4 inch Golden Fleece retail model) w/o a receipt but with tags. They gave me a store credit at the listed tag price, which is way better than refusing to take it back. I also bought a seersucker 346 suit over the summer in the Fitz fit (I compared the retail and 346 model and could find nothing putting a distance between them, and I was not going to pay $500 for a cotton suit, made in Asia at the retail store). I never took the suit off the hanger, except to try the jacket on, and after a move I forgot about it until I unpacked my summer suits. Even though the Fitz is "slim" it is still too baggy, and not worth tailoring such a cheap suit at this point. I called the store yesterday to ask if a return is still possible despite losing the receipt, they looked up the receipt for me through my BB card, printed it off and told me to come in when I had time.

Their retail store has also been great, I have had a few ties here and there that I have taken back with receipt and tags after pulling the trigger in haste and then deciding later that I didn't want them. No issues there. I recently took back an 1818 Fitz in Navy, that I wore once and had tailored. Before SFer's kill me for that one, the suit was tailored and worn once, I traveled with it and decided to get it dry cleaned after I came home. The shoulder seems on the right shoulder popped open (considerably) and the canvas started to pull/bubble around the chest after one cleaning. I took it into the store with the receipt, they offered to fix it through their tailoring service or replace the suit on the spot, they even said the suit must have had a flaw. I declined both and just asked for a refund as I decided to spend the money either with Hickey Freeman MTM or English-American. I would have just done another suit in the exact same model, but that issue left a bad taste, and the 1818 Fitz is the only thing close to a slimmer fitting navy solid that they have, so I just took the refund.

Something that helps when you go in there to return items (other than them knowing you from frequent shopping and spending decent coin) is not to look like a shopper trying to take advantage of their policy. I know it sounds bad to say, but they will look at you and if you seem out of place in there (dressed like a slob), and you are trying to return an older/used-defective/untagged/receiptless item, they are going to make it harder for you. Just be nice, but firm in your requests, and if the SA gives you trouble, ask for the manager. Stay polite with her/him, and then reexplain your situation. If she/he gives you trouble, stay polite, and request their regional/district managers name and information. Tell them that you will be taking the issue above them. Also inform them that they should be meeting their listed return policy (print a copy from online if you want to be extra prepared). If you know the specific date that you bought the stuff, they can look up the receipt and duplicate. If you used a specific debit/credit card they can track it that way as well.

I have personally not had to go the DM/RM threat route, as every Brooks store I have shopped with has been great with their customer service (bar one young SA who tried to be helpful, but he was just clueless), but it should work, if you need to go to extremes. Nordstrom and Brooks have the most generous retail return polices in America, and they usually do everything they can to make their customer happy. BTW, my girlfriend is a manger with a large, high end, department store and said the request for the RM/DM usually works on the spot, even where she is, and they have a tighter policy than most (she previously managed for Nordstrom as well).

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just want to say...

please do not abuse the generous return policy at brooks brothers

the return policy abusers... they are the reason why we cannot have nice things...

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys, esp Johnny24 have had better experiences with me with the stores. After the black friday and xmas sales, I've spent ~ $6000 at BB this past year. They still gave me a dirty look when I returned the unworn, tagged, sealed, with receipts shirts 2 mo after receiving them... maybe I just have bad luck or the store I frequent isn't as friendly.

Johnny24

Reaction score

i just want to say...
please do not abuse the generous return policy at brooks brothers
the return policy abusers... they are the reason why we cannot have nice things...

Between my days in retail in high school/college and with a serious girlfriend in the high end retail game, I would never abuse or encourage abuse. Returning an item with-in the guidelines they set is fine, including returning items tagged and with a receipt after a couple of months if they have an unconditional policy, or the ability to look up receipts. I have heard horror stories though from Nordstrom folks (gf included). People returning items that weren't even sold through the company, at any time, and the store just credits them money back for an item of similar value. I am not sure how those people live with themselves honestly. That is theft, plan and simple. Also people return 20 year old items to Nordstrom pretty often, according to people I know there.

Sounds like you guys, esp Johnny24 have had better experiences with me with the stores. After the black friday and xmas sales, I've spent ~ $6000 at BB this past year. They still gave me a dirty look when I returned the unworn, tagged, sealed, with receipts shirts 2 mo after receiving them... maybe I just have bad luck or the store I frequent isn't as friendly.

I have often heard, especially on SF, of people having issues with Brooks and their customer service from returns and just general shopping. It is entirely possible but I have never found this to be the case when shopping there. My only some what "iffy" experiences were with the earlier mentioned young SA ,who was attempting to be helpful, he was just clueless on how things should fit. I humored him, but nicely showed him that I knew what I wanted and what I was talking about with specific suit fits. He still got a sale of some Peal and Co. captoes out of me.

My other one was in the same store. It was a somewhat snooty older female SA (who doesn't seem to be there anymore). She looked down her nose at me once when I asked a few questions about their spring line that had not arrived, she has noticed me once before browsing and I declined her help, politely. I think she remembered my face from the first time out and I was dressed in my soccer coaching gear as I was on my way back from a game and in the same shopping center as my local Brooks to meet someone for lunch. She acted like I couldn't afford to be in the store, when she said "Oh it's you again". The next time I was in to help get my cousin (owns a medical supply company) geared up for a major sales meeting, I saw her. I was dressed in a very well cut medium grey suit with a navy grenadine tie, and a navy blue gingham checked shirt, and highly polished brown captoes, with a simple white square in my pocket. I think she was surprised to seem me again, and surprised that I was dressed much nicer than anyone else in the store. Between my cousin and I we rang up a pretty sizable bill. After that her "Oh, it is you again" turned into "Hi, it is great to see you again".

On a more positive note, I have had that same store open early for me when I needed a tie, last minute, for a wedding (my order from Kent Wang did not arrive in time the night before). This was an offer from the manager, without my prodding or suggestion. She knew I was on a tight time table and unable to get to the store before the wedding unless it was at 7:00 AM, the day of.

I also get had written notes pretty regularly from an SA named John in the DC store (not my local shop, but I work in the city), thanking me for my buys, and letting me know early about major sales and events. This is pretty uncommon in this day and age, and I really have not spent an absurd amount of money in there. He is an older, and very well dressed, gentleman who has been with Brooks for like 40 years. Granted I have had pretty long discussions with him when I have been in there about tailoring, ties, shoes and so on, but he goes the extra mile. An old pro, so to speak, and he knows his stuff. Ask for him if you are ever in there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads