• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3rdRail

Reaction score

Greetings gentlemen!! First time poster here.

I have been eyeing these Great Gatsby edition white bucks for over a year. Finally pulled the trigger with the 40% coupon today. My SA was able to honor the coupon until tomorrow since the shoes had to be shipped in from another store and they got to the store after Sunday.

Last edited:

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Greetings gentlemen!! First time poster here.

I have been eyeing these Great Gatsby edition white bucks for over a year. Finally pulled the trigger with the 40% coupon today. My SA was able to honor the coupon until tomorrow since the shoes had to be shipped in from another store and they got to the store after Sunday.

Welcome! Enjoy your stunning bucks! Wear them in good health!!

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing these around the house this morning - picked them up on 30% corporate discount day:

I'm on the fence about keeping them. I think they're a cool design and I love summer shoes . . . but the way the canvas in the vamp bunches up turns me off a little and although you can't see it the heel is low like a bowling shoe.

Decisions, decisions . . .

BigRob

Reaction score
I bought a bunch of $59 must-iron luxury dress shirts. Does proper care start and finish by bringing them to the drycleaner for a wash and press?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, for those (like me) who never got the 40% off coupon in the mail, I was talking to my SA about it today and he told me he would give me that discount on a full-priced summer suit I was eyeing. YMMV, of course, but if you have a good relationship with an SA and didn't get the coupon it probably wouldn't hurt to ask.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a bunch of $59 must-iron luxury dress shirts.  Does proper care start and finish by bringing them to the drycleaner for a wash and press?

No, wash in cold on gentle cycle and iron yourself. The cleaners will destroy your shirt.

BigRob

Reaction score
No, wash in cold on gentle cycle and iron yourself. The cleaners will destroy your shirt.

In the immortal words of Sweet Brown, "Ain't nobody got time fo' dat."

Thanks for the answer, but I guess my shirts are going to be destroyed.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 I've been sending all of my shirts to a commercial laundry for years. They include many Brooks Brothers luxury and Golden Fleece shirts, along with plenty from high-end Italian brands (Kiton, Borrelli, Truzzi, Barba, etc.). I know I'm a heretic/non-believer for saying this, but if my Terminator laundry has shortened the life of my shirts, I can't tell.

Kroaker

Reaction score
+1 I've been sending all of my shirts to a commercial laundry for years. They include many Brooks Brothers luxury and Golden Fleece shirts, along with plenty from high-end Italian brands (Kiton, Borrelli, Truzzi, Barba, etc.). I know I'm a heretic/non-believer for saying this, but if my Terminator laundry has shortened the life of my shirts, I can't tell.
I'll 2nd this. It is easy for people to say dry cleaners will ruin shirts, but with my two left thumbs and non-ability to iron, I'd say the chances of me messing them up is higher than someone who does it for a living
shog[1].gif

BigRob

Reaction score
I did some searching on the internet, and I read that if you pay a bit more, some cleaners will hand-iron your shirts after laundering them (as opposed to pressing them).

I'll find out if mine does.

desastre

Reaction score

Takes much longer to drive yourself with the shirts to the cleaners, tell them what you want, drive back home and wait until they're finished with them. Then, drive back and go get them, inspect them, pay up and drive back home with them.

Takes a couple minutes per shirt if you do them yourself, once you get some practice in.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Takes much longer to drive yourself with the shirts to the cleaners, tell them what you want, drive back home and wait until they're finished with them. Then, drive back and go get them, inspect them, pay up and drive back home with them.

Takes a couple minutes per shirt if you do them yourself, once you get some practice in.

You might have a point if people actually approached a trip to the drycleaners in this manner. Most normal people drop off and pick up while out running errands rather than making it a half-day experience of dropping off, going home, waiting unti they are ready and then driving back to pick them up.

The more valid point is the damage the dry cleaner will do over time.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another part of the issue is a lot of people not knowing what instructions to give to their local cleaner.

There's a really nice one in Boston that hand washes and hand irons. It's definitely out of the way for me but I'd never take any of my jackets or shirts anywhere else at this point. So I either do them myself or make the pain ********** trip over there.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, this whole issue of "launder and iron your shirts yourself vs. outsource it" is similar to the decision whether to polish your own shoes or have someone else do it. In my case, I like polishing shoes (to a degree) but I hate ironing. Perhaps because of this, I know I can do a better job with my shoes than the guy at the shoeshine stand would, but I'd rather have my shirts "professionally" done. To each his own, I guess.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To me, this whole issue of "launder and iron your shirts yourself vs. outsource it" is similar to the decision whether to polish your own shoes or have someone else do it.  In my case, I like polishing shoes (to a degree) but I hate ironing.  Perhaps because of this, I know I can do a better job with my shoes than the guy at the shoeshine stand would, but I'd rather have my shirts "professionally" done.  To each his own, I guess.

Yeah, I may be in the minority but I enjoy ironing shirts and polishing my shoes. It takes about an hour to iron a weeks worth of shirts which I do on bad weather or rainy days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads