1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, May 12, 2011.

1. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Senior member

Surprised to find this on sale (half off) at my local Flatiron Shop. Still pricey given it's still made in China but the wool fabric seem to be of good quality.

[​IMG]

2. jmeb

jmeb Well-Known Member

Find an American Express card holder. Complementary access I believe.

Just broke down and bought my first Swims galoshes (in navy) from BB using the "PRIVATE" code. Worked a charm. I walk or cycle to work everyday and have begun resenting carrying a change of shoes with me.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  3. jmeb

jmeb Well-Known Member

(Accidental repost.)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. katch

katch Senior member

Finally decided to pull the trigger on the Camel hair patch pocket jacket and after I put in the promo code they told me it was out of stock. Sucks

5. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

Phone call to customer service tonight:

Me: Is the red fleece line cut true-to-size in the waist?
    CSR: It is a European cut.
    Me: But when a waist is sized 32, for example, is it actually 32 inches, or is it vanity sized?
    CSR: It is a slim fit, like European.
    Me: But inches are the same in both the USA and Europe - so what I'm wondering is if the waist is the same number of inches as tagged or not.
    CSR: (annoyed silence)
    Me: Thanks, bye.

From all my in-store and telephone interactions with BB, I have found only a single person that is anything but rude, condescending, and arrogant. Sheesh.

6. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

^^Not surprised.

For what it's worth, the Red Fleece cotton slim-fit chinos in a size 31 have a 32 inch waist. I'd guess a 32 has a 33 inch waist but am not positive about that.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

The store on Newbury St in Boston is pretty bad with their SAs. Very condescending, arrogant, and rude. I notice this in a lot of high end stores, the SAs develop a sense of superiority, even though they are the ones selling clothes.

8. katch

katch Senior member

Btw Magically more sizes became available after midnight. Some funny business going on at BB

9. mebiuspower

But really Red Fleece pants are super tight... I tried on my size and my balls couldn't breath.

10. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Reality is more like the SA has no idea. Most SA I talk to have very little idea about actual measurement, at best they know it runs roomy or slim ...

11. katch

katch Senior member

So last night at 11:30 I was logged in and ready to check out after putting in the promo code. Magically, the item was out of stock in my size and only 1 odd size left. At 12:30, after the promo expired, all sizes were available.

BB customer service is closed today due to snow storm. Do you think I have any chance of them applying the 25% if I purchase today?

12. mebiuspower

In this day and age we should be thankful that the other person on the phone don't speak English with an accent.

No one takes pride in their work these days anymore...

13. 518aata

518aata Senior member

I would certainly try. Although the BB customer service representatives are not always knowledgeable, I've found that they generally really want to try to help.

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Agreed. All my Red Fleece stuff, like the milanos, seem to run about 1" larger in the waist than tagged, but the red fleece have a very short rise.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  15. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I rarely find a brand that is not vanity sized. Brooks Brothers has not been an exception. If anything they run truer to measurement than other brands that I buy.

16. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

The best advice is to find the fit that matches your body style and stick with it. Before I found SF and really educated myself, my shizz was all over the place based on the marked size. I have some Adriano Goldschmeid jeans in 33 that are a little loose but they're my go-to jeans 'cuz the missus likes 'em. Well then I go to BB and try on some Milanos and keep going up and up and up until FINALLY at size 38 I'm able to sit down without fear of testicular suffocation, and then BB had to pull the waist in. Lessons learned: 1. Low rise is great for jeans, bad for chinos, unspeakable for dress pants. 2. No more effing Milanos.

17. jmeb

jmeb Well-Known Member

Am I crazy or is it impossible to find a must-iron oxford cloth button down shirt (with a pocket, not the logo on the chest) on the BB site? Please tell me they still make this shirt....

18. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

I ended up ordering multiple sizes and will just return what doesn't fit. A waste of time and money.

In contrast to BB, J.Crew can tell you the exact measurements for *everything* on their website. This is great because measurements can vary slightly across items even in the same size. Oh, and employees (both telephone and in-store) have never had an attitude problem in my experience. BB should take note about how a pleb brand like J.Crew operates.

I think it must be a management problem at BB, because the problem is pervasive in my experience at some 6 retail stores and many telephone calls.

19. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Agreed.

This is a Red Fleece one.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Solid...?dwvar_MG01372_Color=WHIT&contentpos=13&cgid=

20. jmeb

jmeb Well-Known Member