• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the proper term is closed-channel soles. There is still a channel there, it is just not visible, at least until you wear them 5 times.
You are correct. It just seems we all refer to this simply as channeled soles, even if that is not correct.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score

Yes, but it would make more sense to go with your proper size (15/13) in slim fit. It will be larger in the chest and shoulders, which is what it sounds like you need. If it's too billowy in the torso, just have a tailor take in the sides.

Great, thanks! I see what you are saying.
I forgot to mention that the size 15 collar felt a little too snug too, so I'll size up to 15.5 still in extra slim fit to see how it goes.

Sam3L

Reaction score
Be careful with going up a size. I went up (not on collar but on sleeve) because it's all they had in that particular style on sale (15 1/2 33) and 32 to 33 is almost unwearable on me. I'll have to go get it shortened and sides taken in, and it's a SF!

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
What's the deal with the Americana trousers? How are they different from the regular chinos? Would they be a good solution for me if I'm looking for summer weight pants that I can pair with sport coats?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Winston is slipping.  He's usually here in the first 5 minutes to correct us by saying the correct term is "channel-free" soles.

BURNED! I thought about interjecting, but passed. I see I should have. I would have used closed or hidden channel soles for the ones where you can't see the stitching.

Last edited:

chenzhongbi

Reaction score

Be careful with going up a size. I went up (not on collar but on sleeve) because it's all they had in that particular style on sale (15 1/2 33) and 32 to 33 is almost unwearable on me. I'll have to go get it shortened and sides taken in, and it's a SF!

Wow this is crazy. I'll keep my fingers crossed that my local store has 15/33 in stock so I can try both sizes on to compare the fit. Thanks for the heads-up.

rc121

Reaction score

Saw that they had the Peal & Co perf. cap toe in EE width now. Would that be equivalent to C&J's G width?

I don't see any peal & co with EE width. Do you think it was mismarked or did u see several sizes available in EE?

edit: I actually see one pair in 11.5 EE but nothing else ;(

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't see any peal & co with EE width. Do you think it was mismarked or did u see several sizes available in EE?

edit: I actually see one pair in 11.5 EE but nothing else ;(

If it's the brown perf. captoe, then it's the one i saw. Either way, that is a good sign for me, means they are starting to carry wide sizes for at least some shoes. I will have to wait to see what my SA says about their inventory in EE though. Here's hoping...

rc121

Reaction score

If it's the brown perf. captoe, then it's the one i saw. Either way, that is a good sign for me, means they are starting to carry wide sizes for at least some shoes. I will have to wait to see what my SA says about their inventory in EE though. Here's hoping...

that was it. you and I are in the same boat, as I'm a 3E in most AE lasts. I tried the u-throat wingtip in 8E and I could hardly get the damn thing on. I won't hold my breath, but I'm with you in hoping they start to carry some EE widths

REguy

Reaction score
Any promo codes currently out there?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that was it. you and I are in the same boat, as I'm a 3E in most AE lasts. I tried the u-throat wingtip in 8E and I could hardly get the damn thing on. I won't hold my breath, but I'm with you in hoping they start to carry some EE widths

I saw that model at the store yesterday, the leather color looks fantastic in person, and yes the last was particularly pointy. Maybe one day...

rc121

Reaction score
the funny thing is I researched C&J lasts to see which ones run wide and the 341 is one of the widest lasts they have. It made me wonder whether the peal and co shoes use UK width so it would be more like a D

twofish

Reaction score
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Classic-All-Cotton-Extra-Slim-Fit-Supima
00ae.png
-Oxford-Dress-Shirt/529Q,default,pd.html?dwvar_529Q_Color=PINK&contentpos=8

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Class...t,pd.html?dwvar_531Q_Color=PINK&contentpos=20

anyone know the difference btw the two? which is the more popular, more classic choice? which has the better shade of pink, ie not too pink somewhat subdued would be nice. also is supimo suppose to be thinner, softer, and less rigid? neither are non iron so I guess they are both less rigid then the non iron ones?

for ex.like this one
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Supima
00ae.png
-Cotton-Non-Iron-Extra-Slim-Fit-Button-Down-Dress-Shirt/612Q,default,pd.html?dwvar_612Q_Color=PINK&contentpos=3

that pink to me is just too pink and not very pleasing...

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Classic-All-Cotton-Extra-Slim-Fit-Supima -Oxford-Dress-Shirt/529Q,default,pd.html?dwvar_529Q_Color=PINK&contentpos=8

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Class...t,pd.html?dwvar_531Q_Color=PINK&contentpos=20

anyone know the difference btw the two?  which is the more popular, more classic choice? which has the better shade of pink, ie not too pink somewhat subdued would be nice.  also is supimo suppose to be thinner, softer, and less rigid?  neither are non iron so I guess they are both less rigid then the non iron ones?  

for ex.like this one
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Supima -Cotton-Non-Iron-Extra-Slim-Fit-Button-Down-Dress-Shirt/612Q,default,pd.html?dwvar_612Q_Color=PINK&contentpos=3

that pink to me is just too pink and not very pleasing...

The first is oxford cloth, the second is not. The oxford cloth is a rougher material and more casual. The pinpoint is smoother and dressier. The second ones looks like a less vibrant pink so that might be better for more situations.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads