1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, May 12, 2011.

1. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

Very nice jacket in this pic. Care to offer details? :D

2. UTfootball747

UTfootball747 Well-Known Member

Seems to be the new norm, at least with the slightly less-expensive than BB retailers. Maybe they were feeling the heat (I couldn't see myself ever paying full price at BB, anyway . . . certainly seems overpriced to me).

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

He has been warned. And a note for all, posting references to your FS items is against forum policy. Do not do that.

4. Suit of Nettles

Suit of Nettles Senior member

Finally showed up, and while that Donegal is a lovely shirt, it was a nightmare for me; the speckling actually made it worse.

Still haven't seen the new store in Toronto, but I may try to check it out on Friday when the semi-annual starts. Either way, I'm still very encouraged by BB's continued expansion up here, and by their commitment to not gouging the bejesus out of us.

1 person likes this.
  5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

wearing the speckled donegal today. love it for casual wear

6. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

The new store is nice. Upstairs it's only as wide as J.Crew next door, with women's in front and Black Fleece at the back. There are escalators down to the basement, where the mens department extends under J.Crew. I think there may be a Yorkville-side entrance in future but right now that's under construction.

7. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Semi-annual is on. What do you have on your list?

Linen trousers are not any cheaper than last week, so I think I'm going to hold out for a bigger discount. See some other things that are cheaper than last week that I may cop though. Seersucker pants, cotton/linen blend Milano pants,

Anyone know who makes these blucher lug soles? Allen Edmonds?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  8. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

Yeah. The deals aren't very good. Given that I dont actually *need* anything particular, I think I'll hold on to my cash till new years.

I'm pretty sure the blucher w/ lug soles are made by AE (the Leeds, going by the last shape). They have a wide range of sizes available, including B's C's E's and EEE's which is a surefire way to tell they aren't Alden!

9. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

They look like AE's Black Hills, but I'm not sure: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF2995_1_40000000001_-1_ (in brown pebble leather).

10. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

Or they might be the San Marco (going by grained uppers and the toby lug sole)... i bet someone;s asked this question and got an authoritative answer in the past, but it's past midnight and I refuse to google it :p

11. Suit of Nettles

Suit of Nettles Senior member

It's a nice shirt, certainly; it just does nothing good for me. Every once in a while, my sole success in the off-white spectrum (a Lipson Signature in ivory herringbone) will prompt me to recklessly try others, and always with horrifying results. And this time, for some reason, the Donegal details, perhaps because they're multi-coloured, made the failure of cloth-on-skin even more apparent by contrast.
    Ah, so they did take over the entirety of the old Nike store. Good for my closet, bad for my equipment locker; for some reason, the Nike store had no skates but a skate oven which they let me use for performing all manner of deranged hockey-boot experiments. Apparently they used it for warming food, which made sense as a skate oven is basically a very small, low-temp see-through convection oven with a disproportionately huge fan.

I'll be interested to see how their staffing goes. I've had really good experiences through the Flatiron shop in the old Medical Arts, now Jackman Humanities building, despite the fact that their stock is limited and extremely poor, but a fairly miserable time with the Yonge Street shop, which has better stock but (IME) less effective and less informed staff. 'CIF? AYS? Never heard of those, but we'll try to sell you Black Fleece shirts that don't fit...'

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  12. rangen930

rangen930 Active Member

I am about to buy some brown AE Lexingtons and I need a brown belt so the belt at the link below is what I am looking at.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Leath...?dwvar_853C_Color=BRWN&contentpos=9&cgid=0233

Does any know have any input on the quality of the BB belts?

I ask because I was just going to get a wide dress belt from AE because the colors would go well but the belt I ordered from them a while back was not impressive. Aside from the fact that I ordered a size up from my pants size it was still too small and the leather was flimsy.

Is the quality of all AE belts about the same?

13. 518aata

518aata Senior member

Actually, Brooks carries many of the Aldens, particularly those in shell, in widths other than D.

2 people like this.
  14. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

15. ScottMC

ScottMC Senior member

Thanks for the Identification. These beauties are on sale again, I suggest grabbing a pair if anyone is considering it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    2 people like this.
  16. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Thanks for confirming. If they are AE, probably better off getting them from AE directly.

17. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I wish I could: thrifted and nameless, in a cloth that's somewhere between a thick flannel and a light melton. American, and from the '70s, but without the excesses of a lot of stuff from around that time.

18. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

19. 518aata

518aata Senior member

I'm old enough to remember when Brooks had two, two-week sales each year, when we eagerly awaited the huge, 25% discount on some staples and selected seasonal items. The stores were (relatively speaking) madhouses, but you put up with it because you knew there wasn't going to be another sale for six months. Now, if you miss the sale, you can just wait a week or two, and they'll be another.

As a result, I was just looking through the sale items and decided there's nothing I really want to buy (at this price). Don't get me wrong -- there's lots of nice stuff, but it's just that, due to a combination of ever-rising prices and ever-increasing mark-downs, I generally only buy during the clearance events (60-80% off). There are exceptions -- some staples and some must-have items -- but for the most part, if you wait long enough, it's probably going to be cheaper (albeit with less selection). Not that we're ever likely to go back to the old sales paradigm, but which would you prefer?

20. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is a great sock pattern and color combo with the shoes. I like how the paisley picks up a similar color to the leather. Very nice.

1 person likes this.