1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, May 12, 2011.

1. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

I hope the 40% discount is in Monday or Tuesday's mail?:(

2. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Same here. If anyone received a card and doesn't plan to use it, I would gladly accept the coupon code via PM. I've been waffling on buying a blazer and the 40% discount would be enough to get me off the fence. I bought a few items during the 30% corporate event and should have bought it then.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  3. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

I called BB customer's service and they didn't know anything about the 40% discount :uhoh:

4. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

It's only for people who have shopped at BB in the past but have not purchased anything in a while to entice them to buy.

5. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

I received my OCBDs today that I ordered during the corporate sale. Since the retail stores that I've been to only carry the non-iron shirts, I had not handled the must-iron shirts until today. I must say - they are very nice shirts. They are much nicer than the non-iron shirts IMO.

1 person likes this.
  6. Cuttingboard

Will have to try but have not had luck with the must iron shirts.

7. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

In what way have you not had good luck with the must iron shirts? This is my first time buying them.

8. Cuttingboard

I bought a couple of the slim fit dress shirts in regular cotton and they shrunk after several washings and wrinkle terribly. I have many Ledbury dress shirts in twill or poplin cotton and you can see and feel the difference in the quality. The Ledbury shirts do not wrinkle very much, are soft to the touch and are easy to iron, unlike the BB dress shirts.

9. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

Were the Brooks shirts to which you refer also twill or poplin? Because the previous poster was talking about oxford cloth.

10. Viral

Viral Senior member

BB uses broadcloth - which has its own merits and properties - which is more likely to wrinkle. For you to compare Ledbury's twill and poplins to broadcloth is not an accurate comparison.

11. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

Maybe don't give up on the BB must iron shirts just yet.

I've read that the must-iron OCBDs definitely shrink and that the best practice is to buy one size up in neck and possibly sleeve length. That's exactly what I've done. They fit just a tad big in the neck and sleeves right now so with a bit of shrinkage it seems that they'll fit just right. Let's hope.

The other issues you raised are likely due to the weave of the cotton rather than the quality of cotton itself. The BB must-iron OCBDs are oxford (of course) whereas the Ledbury you mentioned are poplin/broadcloth and twill. I believe twill is one of the easiest weaves to iron and oxford is one of the hardest. Also, oxford cloth is the least soft and smooth of the three weaves we are discussing, so your Ledbury shirts would probably feel nicer to the touch for that reason. Oxford also looks "rougher" than the other weaves. BB does sell other weaves, but only in non-iron.

With all that said, Ledbury, to my knowledge, doesn't state what kind of cotton they use. I'm sure it is good quality, but if they were using Supima (like BB), I'm sure they would say so. In any case, the quality of cotton that BB uses (Supima) is among the best available I think. IMO it's a shame they ruin it with chemicals for the non-iron shirts.

By the way, do you know which countries your Ledbury shirts are made in? They state they use European factories, but don't specify where they are located. Their shirts sure look nice and they shun non-iron treatments, but unfortunately are a bit too expensive for me.

1 person likes this.
  12. Cuttingboard

You're correct...I didn't think about that.

13. Cuttingboard

If you look in the description, there's a fabric tab that indicates whether its twill or 2 fold cotton poplin and sometimes the source. I believe their shirts are made in Poland using Italian fabrics.

14. Viral

Viral Senior member

:fistbump:

15. 518aata

518aata Senior member

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  16. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

Thanks for that - you're absolutely correct. I failed to clarify in my previous comment that my price threshold is $100. There is in fact lots to choose from in the $160+ range but I'm just too poor for that. But I now see that they also offer a small selection of inexpensive ($65) pinpoint and broadcloth must-iron shirts. Those ones are made in Malaysia rather than the USA. Does anyone happen to know if these shirts are expected to shrink in the same way as the must-iron OCBDs?

17. Sundance

Sundance Active Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmellBlind [​IMG]

I have a couple of those and they shrank quite a bit. I'd say equal to or slightly more than the oxfords. I warm wash and hang dry.

1 person likes this.
  18. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

Check the sale section. There are usually many retail $160+ shirts available at half price. Not necessarily staple solids, but you'll often be able to pick out a few discreet stripes or tone-on-tone patterns like herringbones. I'm also not saying they're necessarily better than the competition, just pointing out that the more expensive shirts seem to linger in the sale section longer than other kinds of items.

1 person likes this.
  19. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

20. Cuttingboard

Unexpectedly, I received the 40% off card today! I have no idea what to buy, I bought 3 suits and a pair of of EG Galways during corporate discount day and my pocketbook hurts!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014