When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, May 12, 2011.

1. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

How's the quality of BrooksCool[​IMG] Solid Grey Suit? Too light for 4 season use?

2. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Should Non-Iron OCBDs really be avoided?

3. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

No, I have several and they are fine. Since I iron all my shirts, it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference unless I travel. It does seem as though the white regular dress shirts are a little whiter.

4. Sleven

Sleven Well-Known Member

Great for the price point, especially if you get one during a promotion. They aren't made the same as the 1818 SouthWick suits since they aren't fully lined (making it breathable for summer) and therefore making it primarily a warmer climate suiting choice.

Also, thank you everyone for the kind words.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

5. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

i don't own any BB OCBD but have several of their egyptian cotton and golden fleece dress shirts, both non-iron and must iron
    i iron all the shirts
    non-iron ones are much easier to iron since they don't wrinkle as much
    the must-iron shirts get allllllllllll wrinkly while the non-iron mostly just get some wrinkles and creases

6. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Is it just me, or is the minimum thickness of non-iron shirts greater than the minimum for regular ("must-iron") shirts? I've noticed that most of my lighter shirts require ironing, but the non-iron materials and coating seem to bulk them up. I'm just thinking out loud here because lighter shirts are better for summer and that might mean non-irons are impractical in warmer climates (just in the summer).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

7. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I wash my shirts in the delicate cycle, fluff in the drier for 10 minutes and hang to dry and I've never had a problem with the must iron shirts wrinkling very much. The weight of a damp shirt pulls out the wrinkles.

8. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

i usually wear my shirts in the shower and scrub them there. once i come out of the shower i towel dry softly and let it hang dry on my body whilst damp. The shirts generally don't wrinkle so much, except where it bends at the elbow. Looks good.

9. Locke42

Locke42 Active Member

I'm a little curious, does Brooks change up their suits and fabrics based on season? I don't mean selling more BrooksCool suits. I mean, for example, do they sell lighter weight 1818 suits in the summer (which they then put on sale in the winter), and heavier weight 1818 suits in the winter (which are then put on sale before the summer)?

I am curious about the BrooksCool stuff, though, since there's a "2 for $899" promo now. How do they compare, construction-wise, to the 1818 suits? Does the lack of lining affect the drape or durability?

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

See 5 posts above yours. Sleven is a former BB SA.

11. Locke42

Locke42 Active Member

Yeah, I know. I was replying to Sleven's post. I just wanted a bit more elaboration on the differences between BrooksCool and 1818 suits. I know that the BC suits use a different fabric blend and are partially lined. What I want to know is how those differences in production translate to differences in fit, durability, etc.

To distill it down to a simple question: Is there a reason to get a more expensive 1818 suit over a BrooksCool suit apart from climate considerations?

I also want to know if Brooks Brothers switches up their fabrics based on season. Summer/tropical wool in the summer, for example, vs heavier wool in the winter?

12. TM79

TM79 Senior member

From what I can tell, it's always the same 3 season Fitz posted on the website - not heavy enough for a proper winter.

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Same fabric year round. BrooksCool is OK but feels and looks synthetic to me. It is very lightweight and breathable.

14. Locke42

Locke42 Active Member

Damn. :( I was hoping they used lighter fabrics in the summer, because I always run a bit warm. A 3-season on me would probably be just fine for winter.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013

15. Zawa

Zawa Member

Hi Sleven,

Congrats on your new role.

Long term lurker but;

I have a question regarding the current BB sale of their BrooksCool line (2 for 899).

I believe you mentioned that they are not full canvas and that the fabric is a little different. Can you elaborate a little on this. Also, is the fabric designed for hotter weather or an all season type suit?

Also, one other question regarding the BB shoes. What is the best quality for price in the shoes sold at BB?

Thank you