1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, May 12, 2011.

1. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I'm about the same size. 5"5" 155 lbs, 38" chest, 33 true waist (measured around my belly button), broad shoulders from what I have been told, and the Fitzgerald cut seems to fit me OK.

That is correct, that the shoulders are not an easy fix and if they don't fit you should probably not buy.

A tailor can take the seat in, but I'm not sure about the front of the pants. I would take it to your personal tailor though as Brooks Brothers will send it out anyway and you may have to pay more than going direct.

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I have four pairs and like them well enough. They're a good value in that $85-100 price range.

3. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

yes
    even the non-iron need a bit of ironing to look sharp

4. shadykay sf

shadykay sf Well-Known Member

Missed out on the extra 15% off sale....quite peeved right now.

5. musicmax

musicmax Well-Known Member

Unless you want to look like you're a hipster who thrifted the shirt for $2 and refuse to use an iron because of its electricity consumption.

Oh, and buy a can of Sizing, NOT Starch.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

It's easier to iron (and better for the shirt) if you only dry for 5 minutes so it's less damp. Ironing is pretty fast once you get the hang of it. Get a big ironing board. I use this.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  7. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Well-Known Member

8. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Well-Known Member

My shirts never see the inside of a drier. I hang dry them for about 90 minutes, and then iron them when they are still semi damp. Ironing is a bit of a pain, but it's easier when the shirts are a bit damp. Also, hang drying makes the shirts last longer. The non non-iron shirts feel much nicer against the skin than the non-iron shirts, I like not having a shirt that is filled with chemicals.

9. Tcameron

Tcameron Well-Known Member

Any one else not seeing their orders shipped?

I'm guessing it could be due to high order volume. I placed an order Christmas day, expecting it to ship within two days (I opted for the 2 day) but it still says order has been "submitted". Items were ready to ship according to the site. I'm guessing I paid a premium for something that won't be worth it.

Is anyone else mildly bothered by the costumey language of "It is, as always, our distinct pleasure to see you." when you sign into your account?

Bah Humbug,
    -T

10. bostongeorge1

bostongeorge1 Member

Mine shows shipped as of yesterday but still no tracking.

Don't worry though, "your order is being processed with the utmost haste."

11. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

BB should seriously consider outsourcing their logistics to Amazon.com, they will have more happy online customers.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  12. Tcameron

Tcameron Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks for the info - I'm sure Milton is in back of a warehouse somewhere making sure the packing tissue paper is wrinkle free.

At least bring them on as a consultant - I guess it all depends on % of sales that derive from ecomm - but I'm guessing it's substantial. BB may also not have a warehouse network that favors speedy packaging and delivery.

I guess all that matters in this is that I got a solid deal on some solid shoes. I can wait.

-T

13. musicmax

musicmax Well-Known Member

Yes. That's the exact one I use. Sizing is what manufacturers use to get that "crisp new shirt" feel when they package the shirt. It should be cheaper (like a dollar) in the laundry section of your local grocer/big-box. Here's an explanation of sizing vs. starch: http://www.qualitylogoshirtsonline.com/Shirt Care/preparing-shirt-ironing.html

14. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

That was from last fall I believe. It has hacking pockets instead of the straight pockets seen in seasons before and after.

15. HansBeckmann

HansBeckmann Member

I ordered a suit online Christmas day for an event this weekend. I chose expedited shipping, but three days later, BB hasn't sent me a shipping confirmation yet. I called them today, and they told me that canceling the order was impossible at this point. Anyone know if this is true, even if the order hasn't shipped?

16. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Well-Known Member

Yes, this makes sense. Most Internet sellers have a point of no return, after which you cannot cancel, or edit an order. So when the suit arrives, you will have to return it by mail or to a store, both of which are fairly easy.

When I order a suit online from BB, it usually takes me at least another 7 days after I have the item in hand to get it ready to wear, since my tailor takes at least 7 days turn around time to finish sleeves, etc. So if I were in your position, if I ordered a suit on Christmas day, I would not expect to be wearing the suit until the second week of January.

17. bostongeorge1

bostongeorge1 Member

Strangely enough, I got a shipping notification from BB this afternoon and when I went to track it FedEx showed an attempted delivery at 9:40 this morning. What's even weirder is someone was home at the time. Someone is definitely in need of some logistics.

18. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I do. I set the drier on low heat, damp dry, and iron them when they come out. That said, if I didn't iron them they wouldn't be awful as weekend casual.

No kidding. I don't think I've seen a shipping confirmation yet, either. I could have walked to the woodlands store and picked them up by now.

19. bostongeorge1

bostongeorge1 Member

Strangely enough, I got a shipping confirm a few hours ago and when I tracked the package FedEx showed an attempted delivery at 9:40 this morning. Weirder still, somebody was home and said they were never there. BB is definitely in need of some logistics.

20. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

brooks brother PRIME
    that'd be amazing
    :slayer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i almost bought the triple stripe milano after christmas last year or earlier this year
    but i found a milano with regular pinstripe and opted for that instead (it was possibly the last one in my size in the country)
    from far away the stripes look like a single stripe.. almost like a chalk stripe
    up close you can see the triple lines

if the milano fits you, i see no reason to not get it

1 person likes this.