• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed any weird changes in the neck size of BB non-iron dress shirts.

I have a lot of them, but the last 5 or so that I purchase were in the usual neck size of 15, and they seem to be a little large. Three or four weeks ago,
a SA at BB had measured and told me I was 15.25, but these 15 dress shirts are a little big. The odd thing is that the shirts I picked up earlier this
year are fine and fit perfectly around the neck. Plus, my shirts from other brands like Charles Tyrwhitt are fine at 15 neck size.

I guess it's possible that I lost weight, but that's a pretty drastic drop for three to five weeks.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone noticed any weird changes in the neck size of BB non-iron dress shirts.

I have a lot of them, but the last 5 or so that I purchase were in the usual neck size of 15, and they seem to be a little large. Three or four weeks ago,
a SA at BB had measured and told me I was 15.25, but these 15 dress shirts are a little big. The odd thing is that the shirts I picked up earlier this
year are fine and fit perfectly around the neck. Plus, my shirts from other brands like Charles Tyrwhitt are fine at 15 neck size.

I guess it's possible that I lost weight, but that's a pretty drastic drop for three to five weeks.

I'm wearing one today that I purchased at the most recent corporate event. Fits the same to me. I am also a size 15 neck.

Last edited:

urfloormatt

Reaction score
If you are going to espouse a minority view, you should qualify it as such. Most would agree that blazer is too trendy for most business environments. If you know the general rules and feel it is fine for you and your workplace, that's fine. But noobs reading your post will think it's fine for most of corporate America, which is not the case.
Is Black Fleece too trendy for the work environment? Because aside from the number of vents and the quality of materials, it's the same. And everyone who jumped on that sale the other week should probably have been alerted. More importantly, lets ask why Brooks Brothers even has the line if the majority view is that those suits are business inappropriate. What is its purpose, exactly, aside from dressing the cast of Mad Men?

It is not the ultra conservative option, as I noted in my prior post. But this is your contention, illustrated:

Appropriate vs. Inappropriate

For what it's worth, I think the cut of the Regent jacket as illustrated above is far superior (though the poor length on the Cambridge coat's sleeves here certainly don't help the overall presentation), but to each his own. It may well be that a trendy jacket becomes unwearable due to changing fashion trends more quickly than a traditional one. But that is a risk that people who cop to the latest trends understand.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On an unrelated note, I don't understand why they picked that model for some of their coats. His shoulders are extremely sloping.

On the other hand, the model and pose for this coat is excellent.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Black Fleece too trendy for the work environment? Because aside from the number of vents and the quality of materials, it's the same. And everyone who jumped on that sale the other week should probably have been alerted. More importantly, lets ask why Brooks Brothers even has the line if the majority view is that those suits are business inappropriate. What is its purpose, exactly, aside from dressing the cast of Mad Men?

It is not the ultra conservative option, as I noted in my prior post. But this is your contention, illustrated:

Appropriate vs. Inappropriate

For what it's worth, I think the cut of the Regent jacket as illustrated above is far superior (though the poor length on the Cambridge coat's sleeves here certainly don't help the overall presentation), but to each his own. It may well be that a trendy jacket becomes unwearable due to changing fashion trends more quickly than a traditional one. But that is a risk that people who cop to the latest trends understand.

Regarding the first question, I do not think Black Fleece suits are generally business appropriate. Indeed, if you refer back, you will see several posts in this thread mentioning that the Black Fleece suits are probably not business appropriate due to the short length, but perfectly fine for someone in their 20's wanting a suit for social occasions. If you review the WAYWN threads, you will see similar comments on the ultra trendy short jackets like Black Fleece.

Also, if you think the Regent cut and the Black Fleece cut of jackets are essentially the same, you really should not be giving advice in any thread. The Regent length hits mid-fingers on the model, while the Cambridge hits at his wrist. Look at the button point and the lapels.

Look, I've got nothing against Black Fleece or the Cambridge cut or your decision to wear them at your law firm. I'm sure there are others who would agree with you. My point was only that most people would likely consider that cut not appropriate for most work environments and, if you are advising a poster on his first blazer purchase for work, that is probably not the best choice.

This is all I am going to say on this issue; not going to go back and forth with you on this.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My point was only that most people would likely consider that cut not appropriate for most work environments and, if you are advising a poster on his first blazer purchase for work, that is probably not the best choice.

This is all I am going to say on this issue; not going to go back and forth with you on this.

Based on what I've personally seen in the workplace, the opinion of "most people" is generally something I tend to avoid.

Having said that, I think it's a bit of a stretch for you to claim to know what "most people" think with regard to any subject, let alone this particular one.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most people would just see a guy wearing a navy suit jacket and think he looks fine. You are kidding yourself if you think the "average Joe" knows or cares about the differences in these cuts.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure why BB would allow you to buy a gift card with another gift card. Maybe just me, but it seems like a strange thing to do.

It makes exactly as much sense as them allowing a corporate discount on the purchase of a Gift Card.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

urfloormatt

Reaction score
Quote: Good, because you apparently didn't internalize any of my two comments on this subject if you believe that I think "the Regent cut and the Black Fleece cut of jackets are essentially the same" when I just spent two posts recounting the differences between them and specifically noted the button stance, jacket length, and lapel width in my prior comment. My point was simply that acceptable business dress and conservative business dress are not the same thing, when you were treating them as such.

And yes, I'm well aware of the groupthink infecting the grand circlejerk that is MC's various WAYWRN threads.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And look at the post which I responded to. Catch up.

I'm :puzzled: I thought we were on the same page. I don't think either (buying gift cards with the corporate discount or buying a gift card with a gift card) makes sense.

I think I may have missed your sarcasm somewhere.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone at my work would notice if the drop of the jacket or the sleeve length was too short. That said, I don't like showing that much cuff and I guess I failed to notice just how much was shown in the model pick.

I need to try on a Regent in-store but a 40L Fitzgerald fits me very well off the rack and I like the look of the charcoal herringbone I own.

Like I said before, the buttons that come with it suck but that's an easy fix. I'll probably just ask the tailor I use what buttons he'd recommend since I'm still pretty new to all of this, and he's a master tailor with excellent reviews everywhere I look.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm :puzzled: I thought we were on the same page. I don't think either (buying gift cards with the corporate discount or buying a gift card with a gift card) makes sense.
I think I may have missed your sarcasm somewhere.

We are on the same page. I misinterpreted one of your posts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads