When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, May 12, 2011.

1. amathew

amathew Senior member

Has anyone noticed any weird changes in the neck size of BB non-iron dress shirts.

I have a lot of them, but the last 5 or so that I purchase were in the usual neck size of 15, and they seem to be a little large. Three or four weeks ago,
    a SA at BB had measured and told me I was 15.25, but these 15 dress shirts are a little big. The odd thing is that the shirts I picked up earlier this
    year are fine and fit perfectly around the neck. Plus, my shirts from other brands like Charles Tyrwhitt are fine at 15 neck size.

I guess it's possible that I lost weight, but that's a pretty drastic drop for three to five weeks.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I'm wearing one today that I purchased at the most recent corporate event. Fits the same to me. I am also a size 15 neck.

3. urfloormatt

urfloormatt Well-Known Member

Is Black Fleece too trendy for the work environment? Because aside from the number of vents and the quality of materials, it's the same. And everyone who jumped on that sale the other week should probably have been alerted. More importantly, lets ask why Brooks Brothers even has the line if the majority view is that those suits are business inappropriate. What is its purpose, exactly, aside from dressing the cast of Mad Men?

It is not the ultra conservative option, as I noted in my prior post. But this is your contention, illustrated:

Appropriate vs. Inappropriate
    [​IMG][​IMG]

For what it's worth, I think the cut of the Regent jacket as illustrated above is far superior (though the poor length on the Cambridge coat's sleeves here certainly don't help the overall presentation), but to each his own. It may well be that a trendy jacket becomes unwearable due to changing fashion trends more quickly than a traditional one. But that is a risk that people who cop to the latest trends understand.

4. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

On an unrelated note, I don't understand why they picked that model for some of their coats. His shoulders are extremely sloping.

On the other hand, the model and pose for this coat is excellent.

5. furo

furo Senior member

+1 what a total fail there

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Regarding the first question, I do not think Black Fleece suits are generally business appropriate. Indeed, if you refer back, you will see several posts in this thread mentioning that the Black Fleece suits are probably not business appropriate due to the short length, but perfectly fine for someone in their 20's wanting a suit for social occasions. If you review the WAYWN threads, you will see similar comments on the ultra trendy short jackets like Black Fleece.

Also, if you think the Regent cut and the Black Fleece cut of jackets are essentially the same, you really should not be giving advice in any thread. The Regent length hits mid-fingers on the model, while the Cambridge hits at his wrist. Look at the button point and the lapels.

Look, I've got nothing against Black Fleece or the Cambridge cut or your decision to wear them at your law firm. I'm sure there are others who would agree with you. My point was only that most people would likely consider that cut not appropriate for most work environments and, if you are advising a poster on his first blazer purchase for work, that is probably not the best choice.

This is all I am going to say on this issue; not going to go back and forth with you on this.

7. furo

furo Senior member

Based on what I've personally seen in the workplace, the opinion of "most people" is generally something I tend to avoid.

Having said that, I think it's a bit of a stretch for you to claim to know what "most people" think with regard to any subject, let alone this particular one.

8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Most people would just see a guy wearing a navy suit jacket and think he looks fine. You are kidding yourself if you think the "average Joe" knows or cares about the differences in these cuts.

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

It makes exactly as much sense as them allowing a corporate discount on the purchase of a Gift Card.

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Bingo!:facepalm:

11. Steve Smith

And look at the post which I responded to. Catch up.

12. urfloormatt

urfloormatt Well-Known Member

Quote: Good, because you apparently didn't internalize any of my two comments on this subject if you believe that I think "the Regent cut and the Black Fleece cut of jackets are essentially the same" when I just spent two posts recounting the differences between them and specifically noted the button stance, jacket length, and lapel width in my prior comment. My point was simply that acceptable business dress and CBD are not the same thing, when you were treating them as such.

And yes, I'm well aware of the groupthink infecting the grand circlejerk that is MC's various WAYWRN threads.

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I'm :puzzled: I thought we were on the same page. I don't think either (buying gift cards with the corporate discount or buying a gift card with a gift card) makes sense.

I think I may have missed your sarcasm somewhere.

14. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I don't think anyone at my work would notice if the drop of the jacket or the sleeve length was too short. That said, I don't like showing that much cuff and I guess I failed to notice just how much was shown in the model pick.

I need to try on a Regent in-store but a 40L Fitzgerald fits me very well off the rack and I like the look of the charcoal herringbone I own.

Like I said before, the buttons that come with it suck but that's an easy fix. I'll probably just ask the tailor I use what buttons he'd recommend since I'm still pretty new to all of this, and he's a master tailor with excellent reviews everywhere I look.

15. Steve Smith

We are on the same page. I misinterpreted one of your posts.