• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is the Jacket Shoulder Too Wide?

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out how much variance I can take in jacket shoulders. Of course, there are factors such as the amount of padding. What is everyone's thoughts on the shoulder fit of these 3 jackets? Please excuse the potato quality pics :(

#1 - Closest fitting to the shoulders among the 3
dB8RHK3.jpg

#2 - Slightly wider shoulder compared to #1 & unconstructed
RequsEq.jpg

#3 - widest in the shoulder among the 3 with a bit more padding (with messed up shirt collar...oops)
vT30JJN.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Potato quality pics? Never mind.

I think of the 3, the best fit in both shoulders and body is #1.

No. 3 strikes me as just too big through the body, never mind the shoulders. Though it’s hard to tell as it may be a function of the high button stance not allowing for the upper quarters to drape properly.

it’s hard to tell with #2 given the lighting and the color/texture of the fabric, but just a cursory scan looks to me to not fit as well as #1.

Not sure if that answers your question.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Potato quality pics? Never mind.

I think of the 3, the best fit in both shoulders and body is #1.

No. 3 strikes me as just too big through the body, never mind the shoulders. Though it’s hard to tell as it may be a function of the high button stance not allowing for the upper quarters to drape properly.

it’s hard to tell with #2 given the lighting and the color/texture of the fabric, but just a cursory scan looks to me to not fit as well as #1.

Not sure if that answers your question.

Thanks for the input! I agree that #1 fits the best and #3 is a bit big. I have pretty narrow shoulders so I'm just trying to figure out how wide I can/should go in the shoulders. The body, as I understand, can be altered within reason so I'm more concerned with the shoulder fit.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shoulder of a jacket can extend beyond your own shoulder. This does require some structure (not necessarily padding). Some shoulder extension can be flattering; how much is acceptable is a matter of taste as long as the end of the shoulder does not collapse.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer 3, both in the body and shoulders. Feels much more masculine to me. Also reminds me more of some of my favorite cuts, like Paone-era Rubi. Drape-y chest, fuller shape, extended shoulder. Helps build a V-shape in the torso.

1000-1.jpg
1000.jpg

maomao wears a similar cut

2.jpg

Steed cuts something similar. Notice the excess fabric along the armhole

1.jpg

Stylewords

Reaction score
I prefer 3, both in the body and shoulders. Feels much more masculine to me. Also reminds me more of some of my favorite cuts, like Paone-era Rubi. Drape-y chest, fuller shape, extended shoulder. Helps build a V-shape in the torso.

View attachment 1540667 View attachment 1540668

View attachment 1540669

View attachment 1540670
Surely if someone wears a jacket that is clearly wider than their actual shoulder, it looks less masculine. Like they're worried about trying to compensate.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1540667 View attachment 1540668

View attachment 1540669

View attachment 1540670

Actually, it was reading your piece on extended shoulders that prompted me to give #2 and #3 a shot (since I had mostly been wearing jackets like #1)! I'm not sure if there's enough structure in the shoulders for #2 to work, though.

The shoulder of a jacket can extend beyond your own shoulder. This does require some structure (not necessarily padding). Some shoulder extension can be flattering; how much is acceptable is a matter of taste as long as the end of the shoulder does not collapse.

Thanks. Does #2 seem like there's enough structure?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Surely if someone wears a jacket that is clearly wider than their actual shoulder, it looks less masculine. Like they're worried about trying to compensate.

How would you know their natural shoulder without seeing a dip?

Stylewords

Reaction score
Interesting. Because the Steed doesn't have an extended shoulder.
We're talking about extended shoulders. All the examples of extended shoulders you've posted are obvious. I didn't feel that need to be spelt out. Think of it like a short guy in cuban heels.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We're talking about extended shoulders. All the examples of extended shoulders you've posted are obvious. I didn't feel that need to be spelt out. Think of it like a short guy in cuban heels.

You said all the examples I posted above are obvious, which I assume you mean that all three have extended shoulders. My point was that you can't tell without a dip. This is proved by the fact you thought the Steed has an extended shoulder. It does not.

So again, how can you tell without a dip?

Stylewords

Reaction score
You said all the examples I posted above are obvious, which I assume you mean that all three have extended shoulders. My point was that you can't tell without a dip. This is proved by the fact you thought the Steed has an extended shoulder. It does not.

So again, how can you tell without a dip?
Had I said "all the jackets" or "all the photos", you might be correct. I quite clearly wrote "all the examples". I assumed it would be clear to anyone that this means "all the examples (of extended shoulders)". I will be more careful in making assumptions about other readers in future.

Anyway, it's all a matter of taste and if you like an extended shoulder then go for it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For the OP, I have a similar build as you and dislike 1. The silhouette looks too narrow to me.

2 might be a good compromise between 1 and 3, if 3 feels too roomy to you. I don't think structure in the shoulder is the issue. Sometimes, when you get a very soft jacket with an extended shoulder, the end dips a little. All three examples you posted have straight shoulders. But sometimes when you have that much excess fabric at the chest, you need to cut the chest piece differently so that you add shape. I don't know if the cut here is right for that chest, but I also think a fuller chest looks better than a clean chest.

dB8RHK3.jpg

The silhouette of 1 reminds me of Kushner's suits, which I also really dislike. Ignore the short length for a moment and just look at the general silhouette.

TIM200127_Kushner.Cover_.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not characterize this as "trying to compensate" in the sense that one should be embarrassed about having narrow shoulders. It's not like one has much choice in the matter. I would argue that dressing in a way that is flattering to one's own body involves some choices about what to highlight and what to obscure.

Taken to the extreme, would you suggest that we all wear skin-tight clothing that reveals our shapes exactly? Why do our shoes taper at the toe? What are you trying to compensate for by wearing shoes that extend beyond your toes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads