• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is the best time to buy from Allen Edmonds?

ircfas133

Reaction score
Really like their belts and shoes.

They have a rediscover America event these days, but I'm not sure whether they are also going to have special events closer to the shopping season, say, the Thanks giving or Chrimas?

I know the Nordstrom carry some of their shoes, but it is limited to may be 20 styles in Chicago, I think. Thanks!

Last edited:

polytropos

Reaction score
Curious as well. I am tempted to pull the trigger now on some stuff, but I would prefer to wait until closer to Christmas if a similar sale usually comes up again for the holidays.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rediscover america sale is one of the best, especially for seconds. Do not buy from nordstrom, they seldom give the discounts and do not have seconds...at least our local nordstrom does not.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, there is no best time. Earlier this year, I bought a pair of Neumoras for $190 shipped and McAllisters for $200 shipped, but they were much more expensive in the last few sales. It seems like you have to pick your shoe and watch for the best prices.

EDIT:

Also, there's a 20% off coupon for Amazon that will save you a few bucks on top of the Rediscover sale. There's a thread here that gives the details.

Last edited:

ircfas133

Reaction score
From what I've seen, there is no best time. Earlier this year, I bought a pair of Neumoras for $190 shipped and McAllisters for $200 shipped, but they were much more expensive in the last few sales. It seems like you have to pick your shoe and watch for the best prices.

EDIT:

Also, there's a 20% off coupon for Amazon that will save you a few bucks on top of the Rediscover sale. There's a thread here that gives the details.

Thank you for your suggestion. May I which month you bought these wonderful products? I think that is a good strategy to keep in mind.

May I ask what are the top style people buy on this forum? I saw McAllister couple of times already. And I know park avenue is their flagship product.

What about their boat shoes? Which of the boat shoe style is considered classic?

jah1961

Reaction score
If you want PA's or Walnut Strands, the Nordstrom sale in July is probably the best for firsts at ~$219.

ircfas133

Reaction score
A very stupid question. What do 'firsts' and 'seconds' mean? Do they mean first hand and second hand products? Thanks!

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seconds are usually a very good deal. Most of the time, the defect is nearly impossible to find. Also, after a few wearings, you'll likely have a few marks/scuffs anyhow.

joeverns

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

A very stupid question.  What do 'firsts' and 'seconds' mean?  Do they mean first hand and second hand products?  Thanks!

Seconds usually means there is a small defect.
6241.gif

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seconds are usually a very good deal. Most of the time, the defect is nearly impossible to find. Also, after a few wearings, you'll likely have a few marks/scuffs anyhow.

Seconds can be hit or miss. If you can find a second of a new style, they're usually money. IF it's an older style, then you should channel every ounce of luck that you have when you place your order. The most common defect seems to be a scratch on the leather sole. I don't give a fxck about that.

csoukoulis

Reaction score

Rediscover america sale is one of the best, especially for seconds. Do not buy from nordstrom, they seldom give the discounts and do not have seconds...at least our local nordstrom does not.

my salesman at nordstrom will price match, plus i like the service nordstrom better

ircfas133

Reaction score
Seconds can be hit or miss. If you can find a second of a new style, they're usually money. IF it's an older style, then you should channel every ounce of luck that you have when you place your order. The most common defect seems to be a scratch on the leather sole. I don't give a fxck about that.

Couple of months ago, I ordered a shoe from AE store on Michigan Ave. After close inspection today, I noticed a small scratch (have to look closely) on the shoe, does that mean this is a 'seconds'. I got it on sales and placed my order in store, but AE shipped to my home from Wisconsin. Thanks!

Last edited:

charliebrown2

Reaction score

EDIT:

jelly

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple of months ago, I ordered a shoe from AE store on Michigan Ave. After close inspection today, I noticed a small scratch (have to look closely) on the shoe, does that mean this is a 'seconds'. I got it on sales and placed my order in store, but AE shipped to my home from Wisconsin. Thanks!
Most shoes will have some minor "cosmetic defect," but that doesn't necessarily make them seconds. I'm not sure if your shoe is one or not. The fact that you got a discount and they had to ship them to you makes me curious though. Why did you get the discount, and why didn't you get a pair that was in store?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads