• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 2: MTM Shirts courtesy of Drinkwaters

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 1st auction of the year is for a Goodies from No Man Walks Alone. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

When is the appropriate time to wear a tie bar??

TheDiesel

Reaction score
Is this exclusive for wear with suits? Or can I just wear it while I have on a dress shirt? Also, whats a reasonable price for one? Around $70?

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
I just picked up an outstanding tie bar from Tiffany for $75 shipped. I have never worn it without a suit, though. I also have never worn it with a tie wider than 3".

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, whenever you wear a tie.

Tiffany's has one for around $70 so I would say absolutely.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked out quite a few (and had a thread about tie bars about a month ago) After researching and looking at a number of them, I went with the Tiffanys one. It is the best in temrs of quality for price that your going to find.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used to wear one of these virtually every day. I had a fetish that would not allow me to wear them with button-down collars, but I got over that.

However, I find that now I am wearing mine less and less. I tend to wear it always with DB and with vests, but less when it shows. I like the way it holds the tie in place under the vest or DB coat, but with SB I don't care so much.

Plus, I got scared of losing mine on a trip after I lost a cufflink.

I find that with a dark suit and formal tie, I am likely to reach for the bar. With an odd jacket, or any less formal get up, I tend not to wear it.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I used to wear one of these virtually every day. I had a fetish that would not allow me to wear them with button-down collars, but I got over that.

However, I find that now I am wearing mine less and less. I tend to wear it always with DB and with vests, but less when it shows. I like the way it holds the tie in place under the vest or DB coat, but with SB I don't care so much.

Plus, I got scared of losing mine on a trip after I lost a cufflink.

I find that with a dark suit and formal tie, I am likely to reach for the bar. With an odd jacket, or any less formal get up, I tend not to wear it.

I've gone the other way - I usually wear one with a sweater, jacket, suit, or just shirt. I like the roll in the tie and the knot stance.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to wear one anytime I wore a tie, but not anymore. I've lost two and don't want to risk losing another. Prior to losing the second one a few weeks ago, I'd been considering whether the tie bar was a distraction from my usual simplicity. Losing it settled the issue for me.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless I'm wearing a sweater over a tie, I always wear a tie bar.

I like the look, but more than the look, I've really grown to enjoy the functionality of them.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Unless I'm wearing a sweater over a tie, I always wear a tie bar.

I like the look, but more than the look, I've really grown to enjoy the functionality of them.

I do like their functionality, and miss it since I haven't worn one in the past few weeks.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
2:45

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I used to wear one anytime I wore a tie, but not anymore. I've lost two and don't want to risk losing another. Prior to losing the second one a few weeks ago, I'd been considering whether the tie bar was a distraction from my usual simplicity. Losing it settled the issue for me.

that's why I picked up $15 ones from Macy's that look great. If I said they were Paul Smith's and cost me $150 each, no one would know the better. But I prefer knowing I got them cheap and wouldn't get bent out of shape if I lost one. Well, I probably would since I like them.

TheDiesel

Reaction score
Yeea,good point. Why pay $70 for a tie bar? I'll just get a cheap one.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDiesel
Yeea,good point. Why pay $70 for a tie bar? I'll just get a cheap one.

Yup, I rather put that extra $50 toward a shoe fund or actually buy a tie to use with the tie bar/tie clip.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 115 15.7%
  • 31 - 40