• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is it too late to put sole guard?

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Recently had vibram sole guards installed on my santoni's by B.Nelson and I quite like it. Nick is a very nice guy as well and we had a brief convo on the topic. Now I'm considering to have them installed on the rest of my shoes. However, the santonis were new and unworn my other shoes have and some more than others.

When is it too late to have sole guards installed on already worn shoes?

Thanks all

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have to replace the sole because it's soft, it's too late for topys. Replace the sole and then put the topys on. Otherwise, have at it.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
If you have to replace the sole because it's soft, it's too late for topys.

this

Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
However, the santonis were new and unworn my other shoes have and some more than others.

don't do this.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New is fine, the cobblers will file it roughly to create more surface area for the adhesive but rather than let them have all the fun, you could simply take the virgin out for a ride without protection.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
If you have to replace the sole because it's soft, it's too late for topys. Replace the sole and then put the topys on. Otherwise, have at it.

Originally Posted by upnorth
New is fine, the cobblers will file it roughly to create more surface area for the adhesive but rather than let them have all the fun, you could simply take the virgin out for a ride without protection.

These. Best to do it before you forget IMO, and new is the best time for this.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you mean when you say soft?

I have never resoled a shoe but I have a pair that I think are close to needing it...

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When leather soles wear down to a point close to developing holes they become soft to the touch. Just press the sole with your thumb and you will be able to tell. The softness is unmistakable. I think this phenomenon is particularly true of Goodyear welted shoes with cork mid soles.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rk9
Why are shoes that are Goodyear welted particularly susceptible?

They aren't susceptible to wear more than other shoes. Its just that the cork mid-sole commonly found in a Goodyear shoe will enhance the "squishy" sensation you feel when the out-sole wears thin. Something like, say, a Blake shoe doesn't have the spongy cork in there to enhance this sensation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads