• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

When is it not appropriate to wear french cuffs?

AutoX

Reaction score
I've been on a french cuff trip lately, and really like the look of it. I've been pulling it off with no tie, top button undone. Is there a unwritten guide of appropriateness for wearing them? I.e. in the office, at dinner, etc.

What is typically the best accurtimonts (sp)for it? Slacks with no belt/belt loops, what type of slacks, shoes, etc.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are going to get a lot of "Only wear French cuffs with a suit and tie" comments here, but I say wear them whenever you like - Tie or no tie, jacket no no jacket, trousers or jeans.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they come off as too affected if not worn with a suit. I also wouldn't wear them to a job interview or a funeral as they might come across as too flashy.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it's never appropriate to wear French cuffs -- hate them.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not a matter of how your cuffs fasten. The appropriateness of a shirt has a lot more to do with its cloth, cut, and collar--and, if you're wearing French cuffs, the kind of cufflinks you're wearing. I have no problem wearing silk knots with casual outfits, even under sweaters.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well,

so far its 4 against and 1 for french cuffs.

So being the mindless drone follower:

DO NOT WEAR FRENCH CUFFS.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It's not a matter of how your cuffs fasten. The appropriateness of a shirt has a lot more to do with its cloth, cut, and collar--and, if you're wearing French cuffs, the kind of cufflinks you're wearing. I have no problem wearing silk knots with casual outfits, even under sweaters.

Wise words.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I don't know about rules, but I have a personal opinion.

I think they look stupid without a suit and tie. They come across as formal. It's about as stupid as jeans paired with a coat and tie.

I do all the time in Europe thanks for calling me stupid, me and thousands of people.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1, it's all about the balance of all of those elements of the shirt and how they integrate into your fit. I have several suits with which I won't wear french cuffs, and I'm not opposed to wearing french cuffs casually (sweater, SC) under certain circumstances.

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
well,

so far its 4 against and 1 for french cuffs.

So being the mindless drone follower:

DO NOT WEAR FRENCH CUFFS.

That's not exactly true though is it? With those kind of extrapolation skills you could work in government!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I suspect this one has two answers... there's the "rules" and then there's the "style".

I believe the rules make FC's more formal, so they're only suit and tie.
I believe the style (Amercan only?) makes FC's flashy and fun, so they can be worn with a sportscoat or even just pants for a night out on the town.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
+1, it's all about the balance of all of those elements of the shirt and how they integrate into your fit. I have several suits with which I won't wear french cuffs, and I'm not opposed to wearing french cuffs casually (sweater, SC) under certain circumstances.

If you're changing the oil on the Maser?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wasn't wearing a suit I would use silk knots, but I don't mind the look personally.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no problem wearing silk knots with casual outfits, even under sweaters.
I did this Sunday ... and the cuff of the sweater looked rather ... uhhh ... "deformed."

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 85 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 155 31.8%
  • 8”

Votes: 141 28.9%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 57 11.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.3%