• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is a Suit’s Silhouette “Too Much”?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I had the opportunity when I was younger. I worked for an American corporation, who's head office was/is based in Cleveland, but I didn't fancy it.

I'm married now with a young child so I don't think it's feasible at the moment.

Maybe in the future though, who knows...

I have two kids under 1 and to be fair , my move is more than compromised and that's an euphemism...

My Great Aunt lived in New-Jersey and my sister worked for First Bank in Chicago...

I wanted to move to Montreal ,Toronto or Vancouver...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
That's really all you needed to say.
Well, when I talked it over with some of my American colleagues, I was, how you say, dissuaded from going.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I have two kids under 1 and to be fair , my move is more than compromised and that's an euphemism... My Great Aunt lived in New-Jersey and my sister worked for First Bank in Chicago... I wanted to move to Montreal ,Toronto or Vancouver...
I've never really fancied Canada, even though it looks like a beautiful country.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well go on, educate me, I'm all ears...
smile.gif

It was the comment on not being able to tell a member of the aristocracy from the underclass until they opened their mouths.. complete nonsense. There is some truth that those born into wealth often don't care what clothes they put on, but unless they are truly eccentric they will be good quality (if old, unfashionabe, handed down several generations..). Someone from the other end of the social spectrum is much more likely to care about what type of loudly branded sportswear they will wear. It also brought up memories of the one long post I read of FNB's where he delusionally dissected the British Psyche.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangfastic
It was the comment on not being able to tell a member of the aristocracy from the underclass until they opened their mouths.. complete nonsense. There is some truth that those born into wealth often don't care what clothes they put on, but unless they are truly eccentric they will be good quality (if old, unfashionabe, handed down several generations..). Someone from the other end of the social spectrum is much more likely to care about what type of loudly branded sportswear they will wear.
Take it from me, you are wrong. http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/819...0A760B0D811297

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangfastic
It was the comment on not being able to tell a member of the aristocracy from the underclass until they opened their mouths.. complete nonsense. There is some truth that those born into wealth often don't care what clothes they put on, but unless they are truly eccentric they will be good quality (if old, unfashionabe, handed down several generations..). Someone from the other end of the social spectrum is much more likely to care about what type of loudly branded sportswear they will wear.

It also brought up memories of the one long post I read of FNB's where he delusionally dissected the British Psyche.

"Delusionally" is the perfect description of his essay on British psyche..

The infamous City vs West End...

Even in a society where the old class system is still alive and kicking things are far more complex than on the simple social models presented by Buffy.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One might note that this severe suiting silhouette derived from military uniforms--these military uniforms were often worn with corsets so as to further accentuate the balance between shoulders and waist.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
That's really all you needed to say.

Ahh yes, but that Tower City Brooks Brothers is still a beautiful store.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Delusionally" is the perfect description of his essay on British psyche..

The infamous City vs West End...

I'm sure he got distracted by the imagined homosexuality before he was two paragraphs in.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
I'm sure he got distracted by the imagined homosexuality before he was two paragraphs in.

The all thing was strange and a bit surreal...I'm sure he was more excited by the West End Soho part of it than the City boys.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The all thing was strange and a bit surreal...I'm sure he was more excited by the West End Soho part of it than the City boys.
Which essay's are we talking about here?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Manton wrote:

Americans are used to the sack, though it is quite rare these days.
I think it depends upon where you are. In DC, J. Press suits are pretty common. And they seem to have a hold on a number of Ivy League grads I know.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Foo wrote:

Try visiting the midwest. Even 99% of suit-wearing Chicago is clothed in Jos. A. Bank--and very few men in Chicago wear suits.

I sometimes attend conferences in Chicago where I run into 300 or so relatively important local businessmen, investors, and whatnot. THESE guys are amazingly well dress relative to Foo's crowd. Last time I hit one of those conferences, about a third of the guys had bow ties on for Christ's sake. Lots of flannel and nice tweed odd jackets. Suits all fit and were very well put together. They blew the Manhattan crowds I run into for similar conferences away. How did that happen?

But in general, yes Foo, you're right. I'm from the Midwest myself. The horror ......

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Foo wrote: I sometimes attend conferences in Chicago where I run into 300 or so relatively important local businessmen, investors, and whatnot. THESE guys are amazingly well dress relative to Foo's crowd. Last time I hit one of those conferences, about a third of the guys had bow ties on for Christ's sake. Lots of flannel and nice tweed odd jackets. Suits all fit and were very well put together. They blew the Manhattan crowds I run into for similar conferences away. How did that happen? But in general, yes Foo, you're right. I'm from the Midwest myself. The horror ......
I think the difference is that Foo is probably more familiar with Chicago lawyers when he went there, or with day-to-day office workers who are required to wear suits. Young professionals will most likely not have the same sartorial experience as top successful businessmen. The successful businessmen know from their experience that their appearance matters. They also interface with clients more frequently than your average worker/junior lawyer. They may appear in more casual clothes for one meeting, and then switch to well-dressed for another. You were at a conference with other important businessmen that they were trying to impress.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take it from me, you are wrong. http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/819...0A760B0D811297
If I didn't know who that was I would assume at first glance that he was wealthy and probably public school educated. The give aways are the relatively discrete polo logo and khakis - if you're trying to imply he looks like a feral urban youth (I'm not sure you are), you are wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics