• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is a Suit’s Silhouette “Too Much”?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
It looks good. Do you have some suits cut by this guy? I'd like to seepictures of people wearing his work.

I'm thinking of bringing that picture to Karl Matthews next time I go to see him...

That's the perfect balance and compromise I was looking for a long time...

On the subject of tribes ,we also have the anti-tribe reflex guided by a refusal to be boxed in certain aesthetics..

I love Huntsman ,drape and Rubinacci .

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I'm thinking of bringing that picture to Karl Matthews next time I go to see him...

That's the perfect balance and compromise I was looking for a long time...

On the subject of tribes ,we also have the anti-tribe reflex guided by a refusal to be boxed in certain aesthetics..

I love Huntsman ,drape and Rubinacci .

Well being into bespoke suits and discussing them on the internet is the main tribe. Sure there are aesthetic/stylistic debates and variations within the tribe but i'd say its internal games aimed at establishing status more than anything else.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
It seems to me that a suit can do one of two things if it's going to do anything at all. It can make you look thin. Or it can make you look buff above the waist. Fashion swings from one look to the other. My own very personal view is that "you can never be to thin" is a rather feminine perspective. I'd rather look martial. That's why Tom Ford's suits can look so good to my eye.

No suit can make you look thin. It's an extra layer of padding. How could it?

I hate to break this to you but nothing is more girly then fat. A thin woman might hit 14% body fat. That's not normal skinny that's borderline dangerous thin. A guy at 14% is pudgy. The next time you stare at a woman's chest wonder what those things are made of. Hint it's not normally silcone.

Unless you think Elton John is the height of manly ? I'm guessing you think the Spartans weren't very manly . I know obesity is the new normal but trying to claim thin is feminine just shows how screwed up the world is today.

Damn kids.
tinfoil.gif

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well being into bespoke suits and discussing them on the internet is the main tribe. Sure there are aesthetic/stylistic debates and variations within the tribe but i'd say its internal games aimed at establishing status more than anything else.

If that's not the main objective, it sure seems like it a lot of the time.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We're more like the Gauls ,dysfunctional and divided..
laugh.gif

It is normal to have power struggles and a pecking order on SF like in any human or animal organization.

It is just human nature.

I still believe we underestimate the social-economical values and meanings behind our sartorial allegiances.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now is this in good taste?

p57Qa.jpg

For graduates of Tufts University? Yes.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
We're more like the Gauls ,dysfunctional and divided..
laugh.gif

It is normal to have power struggles and a pecking order on SF like in any human or animal organization.

It is just human nature.

I still believe we underestimate the social-economical values and meanings behind our sartorial allegiances.

Well taste itself is a matter of establishing status, but its not only that and isn't done in an insincere or scheming way.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It looks good. Do you have some suits cut by this guy? I'd like to seepictures of people wearing his work.

Prince Charles, I believe.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Now is this in good taste?

p57Qa.jpg

This is a hipster's wet dream.

Is it wrong that I kind of want this?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Well, the thing about this particular mannequin shot that is important is that is not pinned. In reality, jackets on the body always look shaplier..

Usually, but not always. Remember my drape experiment? It looked a lot better on the mannequin than on me, until I fiddled with it a bit, but even then, I think it still looked better on the mannequin.... But I do agree that this would probably look much better on a body.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
This is a hipster's wet dream.

Is it wrong that I kind of want this?

It's for kids...someone posted it in the streetwear section and I thought it looked funny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads