• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When exactly should I expect to finish growing?

Redbird13

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new here, and have a question.

I am 18 years old, weigh 135, have a 34" chest and a 28" waist, which I understand to be pretty scrawny. I've had people tell me that it won't last, but I eat a healthy diet and have a decent exercise regiment. I'm in the process of rebuilding my wardrobe, but I'm unsure about whether or not I should start investing in too many items, for fear of outgrowing them. Is this justified, or no? Should I just focus on footwear for the moment? Or will those size 28 Naked and Famous jeans fit me for the time being? Any advice is appreciated, especially from those here with slimmer builds. Thanks!

Cardigan Brah

Reaction score
It depends on genetics. Some stop growing at your age, some keep growing until 25. If you are that small at your age then you are probably almost as big as you will get.

Last edited:

dacia1300

Reaction score
don't power lift just yet and get plenty of rest everyday, i've read in a few medical journals that power lifting at a young age stuns growth. the rest bit is pretty self explanatory. good luck on your growth goals in 2012 OP. stay safe.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

don't power lift just yet and get plenty of rest everyday, i've read in a few medical journals that power lifting at a young age stuns growth. the rest bit is pretty self explanatory. good luck on your growth goals in 2012 OP. stay safe.

**** that started lifting when I was 16, only then can you achieve god level aesthetics in your early 20s., also are you aware?

StylinGuy

Reaction score
since you're young, why not bulk up to your ideal weight before investing in clothes.

dacia1300

Reaction score

**** that started lifting when I was 16, only then can you achieve god level aesthetics in your early 20s., also are you aware?

aware as fuark, are you going to recomend he start pounding cell tech now so he can get on that zyzz time now. btw how tall are you son?

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
apparently dat dere cell-tech can do some **** to one's epiphyseal plates if done too early, however this "don't lift at eighteen" -advice is beyond marsupialed.

lots of god-tier lifters that started very young and still made it to teh 6'2"+ master race.

Last edited:

dacia1300

Reaction score

apparently dat dere cell-tech can do some **** to one's epiphyseal plates if done too early, however this "don't lift at eighteen" -advice is beyond marsupialed.
lots of god-tier lifters that started very young and still made it to teh 6'2"+ master race.

i said no power lifting manlet, so lets not get into that debate because this has been proven time and time again, with science. dig?

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bring the science then, will take a read

GrayDorian

Reaction score
LOL strong misc crowd all in this thread.

OP you can actually grow if your plates are open. I was 20 y.o with a 30 inch waist and was a buck twenty (all this at the height of 5"7). From 18 to 20 (and a quarter) I quit exercise because I believed it was too late for me to grow. I am now 21 at 5"11 because lifting heavy (dat dere daily max squat) makes you secrete test et. al.

Morale of the story is you do not know when your plates are fused.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't grown a bit since I was 14. Thankfully I didn't need to since I was already at 6'2.

When I turned 18 I ate a ton of protein and food in general and lifted 5-6 days a week. I put on a little over 30 lbs in my freshman year at school. Shoulders broadened which was sorely needed at my height.

Last edited:

dacia1300

Reaction score
http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Growth_Plate_Injuries/default.asp#3

check the bit on injuries, powerlifting / roiding out would def put you at a higher risk and not help your cause in growing furhter, the most important thing when it comes to growing is clearly genetics. i never told the kid not to lift, just to stay off the gorilla roider mentality, and avoid powerlifitng if not supervised / proper form etc..

cliffs of study

Experimental programs most often used isotonic machines and free weights, 2- and 3-day protocols, and 8- and 12-week durations, with significant improvements in muscular strength during childhood and early adolescence. Strength gains were lost during detraining. Experimental resistance training programs did not influence growth in height and weight of pre- and early-adolescent youth, and changes in estimates of body composition were variable and quite small. Only 10 studies systematically monitored injuries, and only three injuries were reported. Estimated injury rates were 0.176, 0.053, and 0.055 per 100 participant-hours in the respective programs.

CONCLUSION: Experimental training protocols with weights and resistance machines and with supervision and low instructor/participant ratios are relatively safe and do not negatively impact growth and maturation of pre- and early-pubertal youth.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
powerlifting isn't a synonym for using gear, still looking for the part where PLing would stunt one's growth, which you specifically stated

I'm also not a PLer, so I have no vested interest

Last edited:

dacia1300

Reaction score
didnt say they were synonyms i'll have a ook around for the study, there was a write up in jama if memory serves correctly where it indicated that unsupervised powerlifting participants int the study had higher incidents of injury when compared to the control group, therefore causing issues.

dacia1300

Reaction score
Children who lift weights must be monitored closely. The regimen must be very carefully supervised with emphasis on correct form and not on maximum weight or number of lifts. Resistance should not be increased until the child has learned the proper form and technique for each exercise. Additionally, a young athlete should adhere to some general principles during a training program. The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine recommends 2 or 3 training sessions per week. The program should include 20 to 30 minutes of training with warm-up and cool-down periods of stretching exercises.3 Olympic-style and competitive weightlifting are very dangerous for any age group and should be avoided entirely in the prepubescent and adolescent age groups.3-5 Olympic lifting movements, such as the power clean, "snatch," and clean-and-jerk, are associated with low back injuries and spinal defects such as spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis and are not appropriate for these age groups.3 The child should begin with weight resistance that allows 3 sets of 6 to 15 repetitions. Once a child can perform 3 sets of 15 repetitions with appropriate technique and good control, the weight can be increased slowly. Repeat the process each time the child can successfully complete 3 sets of 15 repetitions at a new weight level.

Although preadolescent children have the potential to make modest strength gains, resistance training should ideally begin in adolescence. A progressive program that is closely supervised will help young athletes achieve their strength goals. Following these simple guidelines can help reduce the risk of injury and enhance the benefits of resistance training for the young athlete.

Jay Bradley, MD
Columbus, Georgia

References

Sewall L, Micheli LJ. Strength training for children. J Pediatr Orthop. 1986;6:143-146.
Rians CB, Weltman A, Cahill BR, Janney CA, et al. Strength training for prepubescent males: is it safe? Am J Sports Med. 1987;15:483-489.
Grana WA. Strength training. In: Pediatric and Adolescent Sports Medicine. Vol 3. Philadelphia, Pa: WB Saunders Co; 1994:520-525.
Jesse JP. Olympic lifting movements endanger adolescents. Phys Sports Med. 1977:5(9);61-67.
Bosco C, Colli R, Introini E, Cardinale M, Tsarpela O, Madella A, Tihanyi J, Viru A. Adaptive responses of human skeletal muscle to vibration exposure. Clin Physiol. 1999;19:183-187.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads