• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When does a bespoke client become “His Excellency”?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Folks:

This week, among my items, I am selling a Henry Poole suit made for a man who was at the time in the Cabinet. Previously, he was Ambassador to France.

Poole is English, of course, but the client was American. The firm has made suits for countless statesmen, so there must be some protocol. Which post merited the honorific?

You can see the label here:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nothing unusual there - an Ambassador features on the Order of Precedence of most (if not all) countries and is thereby officially titled in some way.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Nothing unusual there - an Ambassador features on the Order of Precedence of most (if not all) countries and is thereby officially titled in some way.
+1. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excellency
Usually, people styled "Excellency" are counted amongst: heads of state heads of government governors ambassadors certain ecclesiastics certain members of royalty and others holding equivalent rank (e.g., heads of international organizations, high commissioners in the Commonwealth of Nations).

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recall when Pelosi visited the Knesset she was introduced as Her Excellency. Even though neither the US or Israel has a peerage.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The High Commissioner of one of African commonwealth countries used to rent my farm house for her residence and her staff always used to call her "H.E."

literasyme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Which post merited the honorific?

Ambassador. A minister/secretary wouldn't be addressed in that form.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Ambassador. A minister/secretary wouldn't be addressed in that form.

For the americans (anglo-saxon protocol) it will be Ambassador - the rest are Hon/Rt. Hon. For continental protocol (French) Ambassador, or other ministerial rank (dignitaire). Italian ... well lots of protocolar ranks!

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Dear Folks:

This week, among my items, I am selling a Henry Poole suit made for a man who was at the time in the Cabinet. Previously, he was Ambassador to France.

Poole is English, of course, but the client was American. The firm has made suits for countless statesmen, so there must be some protocol. Which post merited the honorific?

You can see the label here:

At the time in the cabinet, is that the posh way of being in the closet !!

Ambassador to France. The French Foreign office just fired their senior ambassador in HK for getting caught stealing several bottles of high end Burgundy from a private club in HK. Just goes to show, politicians and statesmen are all a bunch of thieves, at least this french man felt no need to beat around the bush about it.

Sorry I know this is very off topic.

Sazerac

Reaction score
I believe there are lots of different uses for His/Her Excellency. It's not a specific title like Mr. president or reverend or her majesty. Just use it and make it sound like you know what you're doing. Silly honorifics are confusing and nobody but a very few protocol experts within, say, State know who is to be called what.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
It is correct to title ambassadors with "your Excellency". It is not so much being a bespoke client as being an ambassador. It's a nice job perk.

BerryWall

Reaction score
Read his Wikipedia entry. Quite a distinguished life.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the US letters addressed to any political elected official or appointee requiring Senate confirmation should be addressed The Honorable Name, Title. I'm sure the protocol in England is different.

Would you have felt the same had it said, The Honorable instead of His Excellency?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
At the time in the cabinet, is that the posh way of being in the closet !!

Ambassador to France. The French Foreign office just fired their senior ambassador in HK for getting caught stealing several bottles of high end Burgundy from a private club in HK. Just goes to show, politicians and statesmen are all a bunch of thieves, at least this french man felt no need to beat around the bush about it.

Sorry I know this is very off topic.

Berlusconi would have promoted him...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics