When do you retire your shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MikeF, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Clark

Clark Senior member

I like fraying.

+1

2. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

I dont think sleeping in dress shirt is comfortable... specially when most of mine are slim fit.

I meant for my girlfriend whenever she comes over, my older blousy shirts are pretty soft and tentlike, pants optional.

3. tps16

tps16 Senior member

+1

+2 I wear them until they are threadbare. Fraying only adds character

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I retire them when i can't stand them anymore or they're full of stains..

5. madaboutshirt

madaboutshirt Senior member

I stop wearing my shirts when they don't look good on me anymore. Either they don't fit me well anymore or I'm bored with it.

6. nordicstyle

nordicstyle Senior member

Generally once the collar points show visible wear. I find the rear of the collar points tend to wear through before it's visible from the front, so a favourite shirt might get a short reprieve if there's no visible wear at the front.

I assume this comes from wearing a tie? I've never had the collar wear out on any of my shirts. Usually they just "fade" with time, so I toss them out when I don't think they look as sharp as they should anymore. Some shirts also get a "shine" on the elbow (I'm guessing it's because I sit with my elbows on the table a lot). When any wear is noticeable I take it out of rotation (this goes for most of my clothes).

7. nordicstyle

nordicstyle Senior member

I dont think sleeping in dress shirt is comfortable... specially when most of mine are slim fit.
    Yeah. I think also the cuff links can be somewhat uncomfortable in bed... [​IMG]

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I dont know fellas, fraying? I stop once I see signs of that. Doesnt it make you look kind of po?

9. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

When either the collars or cuffs or both fray or have holes, it's time to re-collar and re-cuff in either the same cloth or white.

Before undertaking the cost I make sure that the rest of the shirt is in good condition. When there are holes in the body of the shirt or when the front placket frays, it is time to throw-out the shirt.

I have had a few shirts re-collared and re-cuffed 1-2 times.

Some shirts do not merit the effort and expense.

I would say that you can get away with a frayed collar or cuff if the the rest of your ensemble is impeccable. However, if your collar is frayed and you are wearing a worn and aged suit, then you will look down on your luck.

Good luck.

10. OPTiK

OPTiK Well-Known Member

I have some old dress shirts (actually not that old, like 2 years), which has lost their elasticity so they're kind of big on me, those are getting retired. They're Express shirts (go figure), I've recently ventured into the nice italian dress shirts, I'm sure they'll last longer and fit better in the long run.. I'm siked!

11. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

When either the collars or cuffs or both fray or have holes, it's time to re-collar and re-cuff in either the same cloth or white.

Before undertaking the cost I make sure that the rest of the shirt is in good condition. When there are holes in the body of the shirt or when the front placket frays, it is time to throw-out the shirt.

What he said. Replacement collars are how I get white collar and cuff shirts.

12. eg1

eg1 Senior member

custom-made FC shirts I will consider re-cuffing or re-collaring. Fraying RTW dress shirts I move into the casual/weekend rotation; from there they go into the "rag bag" or get binned.

13. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

When I wear through the cloth, such as the elbow, which has happened recently! Don't worry that shirt just gave me spare buttons!

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I stop wearing mine when I no longer like them or when they develop holes. Fraying doesn't bother me at all.

15. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Some I toss at the first sign of any damage or fraying and other shirts I develop a deep, long-term bond and have trouble tossing until they are falling apart. I have a few from the mid 80's that I still wear. I especially like, old frayed OCBDs.