Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

When do you get your shoes resoled?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Grammaton Cleric, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

I have several pairs that have taken a beating and where the sole exhibits some wear-n-tear (though remains perfectly comfortable). Importantly, while the sole has eroded considerably at the toe and heel, it hasn't hit the next layer yet (whatever that's called). Is it time for a resole?

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

....when they look and feel like shxt. I'd probably recraft them if there was a special occasion that I wanted to use them for.

3. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I seriously wait until they start to develop a hole. Really, I do.

4. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I only resole my shoes if they are from good brands, and I try to send them to the original factory to get it done. On the other hand, some generic GY-welted such as from Boggi or suitsupply will be straight to the bin once their life is over.

5. bertie

bertie Senior member

There are some experts here who will likely chime in as well and give a better explanation but I think there is a point where the sole gets soft and spongy and that is the time to resole. If you poke it with your finger it gives a bit at this point and no longer feels hard to the touch. If you wear all the way through you may damage more of the inside shoe bits.

6. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

That's a pretty good question. I believe you're referring to the midsole (the next layer). When you're into it, it's a more labor intensive process, I believe. Either way, when there is significant wear to the soles, it has an impact on the way you walk and your comfort (back included).

If you find the heel worn faster than the sole, just replace the heels. I won't always go back to the manufacturer, I've found a cobbler that does a great job with most repairs and maintenance.

I've certainly found that resoling shoes keeps me wearing them longer. Worn out soles makes me reach for another pair, so if I find myself skipping a pair because it's a bit worn, I will have it resoled.

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Nah, you only screw up the cork a bit, and that gets replaced anyway. as long as you don't keep wearing them after the hole forms, you're fine.

Resole when there's a hole, or if the toe looks like it's going to eat into the welt (the next layer at the toe, which you don't want to damage). In which case toe taps are a good idea on the new sole.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

8. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Thanks, all. Sounds like erosion into the midsole isn't a big deal.