• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When do people stop growing?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stopped growing at about 16. I'm only about 5-8 but I guess that's not too bad for a ***********.

BoilerRoom

Reaction score
I hit puberty around 12-13 and grew about an inch after 18 years old. Everyone is different, but I would generally not count on anything besides residual long bone growth 5-6 years after puberty had begun.

However...

Some bones, such as the clavicle, don't fuse until your mid-20s, and bone density can increase for years after that. I certainly know I kept filling out until my early 20s. But, unfortunately, bone growth isn't puberty....

BoilerRoom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spartan
people stop growing depending on their maturational status - typically a person will fall into one of three catagories for maturational status 1. early, 2. average, and 3. late. an individual who matures early - goes through puberty and all the associaed growth spurts at an earlier age - typically between 9 and 12. an individual who matures at an average rate will go through puberty and the associated growth spurts at an 'average' or typical age - typically between 11 - 13 or so. an individual who matures late will go through puberty and the associated growth spurts later - more typically in their late teens but sometimes into their early 20's (maybe even to 23, 24 or so)
Even in very late-bloomers, any kind of "growth spurt" after 20 is very rare. Check out Leonardo Dicaprio in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" who was about 18 or 19 years old and still had the voice of a child. Even he only grew about two inches afterward.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i wish i didnt stop growing when i was at 15 or 16 years old. that was it.
ffffuuuu.gif
oh well.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Approximately 20, when the last long bone growth plates fuses. The femur is fused fully at 20 in most cases, the tibia is fully fused around 18, the humerus fuses around 20, and the radius fuses around 20 as well.

However, the range extends from 16-23 depending on the specific growth plate. Usually the last plates to fuse are in the arms around 18, so that really has no bearing on height.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say about 18-19 at 6'4" for me.

MrNick

Reaction score
I thought I was done, but in the last year I've grown a little. I read men can grow up to around age 24, so I have hope. I'm still only about 5'5'', I think it would be funny if I grew 2-3 inches in the next 2 years.

MagV

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrNick
I thought I was done, but in the last year I've grown a little. I read men can grow up to around age 24, so I have hope. I'm still only about 5'5'', I think it would be funny if I grew 2-3 inches in the next 2 years.

+1, though it's only a few months till I'm 25. Not much time
smile.gif

Doctor

Reaction score
Most finish around 16. A few go until 18. In the very rarest of cases, they go until 20. Post 20 is freakishly rare.

I was an incredibly late bloomer (last of my entire year level - 250 kids), and I haven't noticed any post-20 vertical growth. Thankfully... I'm 6'8".

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped growing taller in 9th grade or so. It was fine. I'm 6'2".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads