When dining alone, is it rude to read?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by computerpro3, Feb 3, 2011.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

HOLD UP NOW...

about how much of a loner he is.

That's all Tagut right there.

2. randallr

randallr Senior member

HOLD UP NOW... That's all Tagut right there.
    Hah...that was really mean. I just felt like degrading someone from the comfort of my own home and safety of the interwebz. It's been a long day. Sorry.

3. TheSauceBoss

TheSauceBoss Well-Known Member

You just look lonely.

I loved traveling for work except the eating alone part... but yeah, I'd read a book or magazine when I would go out to eat most times.

I agree. Back in the day, my job involved some travel and it sucked going to a restaurant alone.

4. computerpro3

computerpro3 Senior member

No, it's still a stupid, insecure question and the lulz would ensue regardless.

Don't even pretend you'd whip out an ipad at Per se

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I thought the entire point of this thread was that the restaurant wasn't as nice as Per Se. [​IMG] . If I was eating alone at Per Se, I'd probably be so wrapped up in the food/wine that I wouldn't give a thought to reading.

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I agree. Back in the day, my job involved some travel and it sucked going to a restaurant alone.

Pussy. I enjoy eating out alone the few chances I get to. In those situations, I always have something to read with me.

7. computerpro3

I thought the entire point of this thread was that the restaurant wasn't as nice as Per Se. [​IMG] . If I was eating alone at Per Se, I'd probably be so wrapped up in the food/wine that I wouldn't give a thought to reading.
    I guess I didn't clarify...not quite as nice as per se, but a place with real linens and perhaps a well regarded chef. $30-40 dinner entree, 15-20 lunch. Something like Nicola in Cincinnati, Lola in Cleveland, maybe a restaurant in an upscale hotel chain like the Ritz, etc. I'm not talking about Chili's....

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Like I said, I saw a woman reading by herself at Lucas Carton, which was a lot more elegant than Per Se, and she looked comfortable and happy.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I guess I didn't clarify...not quite as nice as per se, but a place with real linens and perhaps a well regarded chef. $30-40 dinner entree, 15-20 lunch. Something like Nicola in Cincinnati, Lola in Cleveland, maybe a restaurant in an upscale hotel chain like the Ritz, etc. I'm not talking about Chili's....

I just don't see why you think it would be rude. It's your table, you've paid for it (or will pay for it). Why do you care what other people think anyway?

10. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

i used to do this, and the other lone diners who didn't think to bring a novel would always come interrupt me to chat, which was rude.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I'd go with something more low key like a Kindle. It won't bath your face in that haunting blue LCD glow from an iPad.

12. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

13. computerpro3

This post belies this post: Although the devastating insult, when you implied that I ejaculated on Edina and am therefore homosexual, really made me doubt my assertion that you're a loser. More than that, it hurt my feelings. I'm clearly dealing with a very intelligent adversary with a razor wit. Why the hell not? And I'm about the least big-timer person on here, but $30 for a dinner isn't all that much.
    I was merely stating it made him look glorious. Your clear aversion to and paranoia about homosexuality show your true colors.

14. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Reading a book at a meal is awkward - too much concentration required.

How you doing on that "walk and chew gum" thing?
    [​IMG]

15. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I was merely stating it made him look glorious. Your clear aversion to and paranoia about homosexuality show your true colors.

[​IMG] C'mon, man. Javyn does this same passive-aggressive gambit, but is at least a little creative. You just go around calling people gay. [​IMG] On this forum, you realize that's not really an insult, right? Ed and I's relationship has been out in the open for quite some time. I even wrote a tender poem about him.