• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When did you start wearing suits/what got you into wearing suits

its299792458mps

Reaction score
Hey, I asked a few questions on SF already and noticed I haven't properly introduced myself yet. I'm Bruce Shen and I'm 20 yrs old currently a Physics and Math double major in my third year.

I'm not sure if this thread has been started already but I looked through the past couple of pages and I haven't seen it yet. I would like to ask at what age everyone started looking into suits and then eventually bought their first suit - like legit suit not the suit your mom bought you for a wedding you had to go to when you were in high school. And what got you started into looking into suits in general?

I guess I'll start us off. I just recently got into suits 'cause I started teaching physics lab at school and I wanted to stand out of the class so they know who's the TA. Of course I didn't start off wearing suits but I started wearing ties and dress pants. Eventually I did the unconventional thing and bought a tweed suit - which I got some advice here on SF about the length and am very proud of the purchase.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I first started to wear suits regularly at the age of almost 32, because at my new job my new boss made it clear that this was MANDATORY.

After a while I started to realise that my suits were maybe not 100% right and started to take interest in the matter. After my first substantial salary rise at that job I decided to go MTM/bespoke.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I decided to stop being a boy and graduate to dressing like a man.

clintonf

Reaction score
For me suits because something that I had to wear at around 27. It was a requirement of my work (Computer Trainer). I didn't have much money, so I didn't spend much on them.

It would be interesting to see what I looked like back then (I've haven't got any photos of me wearing suits then).

I went through a period where I felt a suit was just something to cover your body and my money was directed elsewhere (baby and HiFi).

Then around 6 years ago, I re-discovered my passion for wearing dress clothes. I knew very little about "proper" clothes, so I went the Armani/Boss/Zegna/Paul Smith route and "discovered" this site and AAAC quite by accident.

Since then, I've improved my understanding, and spent far too much money on improving my look!!!

Clint

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always had suits as far back as I can remember, but started wearing them regularly for work a few years ago for client engagements.

I mostly wear them to work (when required) and things like semi-formal non-DJ parties. Wearing them elsewhere in a casual environment seems... odd. It's like being the guy dressed in jeans and a t-shirt at a black tie party.

TurboBruce

Reaction score
I bought my first couple suits for internships/interviews while in college (I was probably 20-21). I didn't really know what to look for at that point but I was clearly interested in dressing properly "like a man".

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
When I decided to stop being a boy and graduate to dressing like a man.

This.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was planning for my wedding, someone posted a freakish coupon code for TM Lewin and I got a suit for $140. I wore it for the rehearsal dinner. Loved how it looked and how I felt wearing it, and got a lot of complements. Then I wore it for my PhD defense, same deal. I got a job where the dress was largely up to me (professor) and decided I'd dress to a higher standard. I don't always wear suits, but always a jacket and usually a tie. It just feels right.

Matt S

Reaction score
James Bond got me interested in wearing suits. Now I even have a blog about it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started working in a pretty responsible job at a very young age, and I looked young, and had been a real slob. I needed to look as respectable as possible quickly. that's about 22 or so.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed wearing a suit ever since I was a little kid. I just thought they looked badass. I started wearing them regularly my freshman year of college. People called me "the suit".

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was an intern at Shearson Lehman then a stockbroker.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TurboBruce
I bought my first couple suits for internships/interviews while in college (I was probably 20-21). I didn't really know what to look for at that point but I was clearly interested in dressing properly "like a man".

This. 15 years ago, I bought 2 38S suits that I'm sure fit like tents, because I'm on the edge of 34-36S. That was the smallest size available, so go figure. Thankfully it was the 90s and suits were worn that way by most. (They still are worn that way by most, lol!)

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
needed one during 2L. I had zero interest in them before that now it's turned into a major hobby... I think what motivates me is not so much the desire to 'look good' as it is the desire not to look affected or artificial, since let's face it most men's suits are wrinkly, ill-fitting sacks that look like costume. It's no easy task to make a suit look like it's naturally hanging off the body effortlessly, I guess it's the challenge of that paired with all the mechanical/artistic considerations that go into tailoring that makes it such a great hobby.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i was about 10 because i was forced/when i was 13 because i realized suits are awesome!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads