when did the hat die?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BerniniCaCO3, Oct 22, 2007.

1. BerniniCaCO3

BerniniCaCO3 Active Member

Btw, on the subject of hats from two other threads,
    when did the hat die?

I see almost *no one* wearing a hat. Very occasional ski cap, baseball cap at best.

Watch old movies, and every man had a fedora; watch period films, and in the 19th ce it was a top hat. Today, whether movies or walking down the street--nothing... where did the hat go??

2. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

allegedly, JFK's inaugural sounded the death-knell, but it had been on the way out for ages. I'm sure others here will know more than I do on this topic however.

3. Laffertron

Laffertron Senior member

I'd like to wear a trilby on the way to work, but I don't want to come across as being too eccentric... maybe us SFers need to bring the hat back.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I think hats are already coming back. I see a lot of young men wearing a trilby. Both my sons asked for black fedoras, which they wear regularly. I fully expect to see many panamas this summer.

I'm not sure where this all comes from, but I do think that there is a grounsdwell under way amid the trendoids that will quite possibly bring hats back to the mainstream.

5. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. flylot74

flylot74 Senior member

I've started wearing hats. Last winter I wore several tweed flat caps and a wide brim In dy style while hunting. This summer I wore a straw western (when working outdoors in the yard) and a panama. Just recently I purchased a couple of snap brims, one gray and one brown.

I've started because :
    1. I think they add to a splendid look.
    2. It's a revolt against the revolting, i.e. baseball caps worn every which way.

FWIW, I get many favorable comments about my hats, expecially women. They often comment how it add so much to what I am wearing at the time.

You should check out the Fedora Lounge. Some of the SF folks are members there, including yours truly.

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Hats never fell out of fashion with African americans.

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Hats never fell out of fashion with African americans.

When I'm out with a hat on, particularly when wearing a Panama (as opposed to a felt), I hardly ever fail to receive at least one compliment from an African American on my hat, usually men but often women, too. It happens constantly.

9. kakemono

kakemono Senior member

Though I don't have an answer... it is quite the coincidence that this topic was brought up now...

A new Barnes and Noble recently opened by me so I went to look around and there was a calendar of panoramic shots of sports stadiums. One shot was an older picture and my friend mentioned how EVERY person in that staadium had a had on.

I'm not sure that I could muster the courage to wear a hat here around campus. Well, besides a baseball cap - which I wear only when I wake up late and don't have time to take a shower - thus icky hair.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I've read Kennedy marked the end of the chapeau. I've worn a Stetson on occasion, some straw hats here and there, and a Hogan cap for golf, but the Mrs hated the Hogan cap so away it went.

Besides, I have less hair than I used to, and I'll be damned if I'm going to hide what little I still have. Once it's gone, the Hogan cap will return.

11. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

I like hats...... I hate hat hair.

I loathe baseball hat/new ear fitted/limited edition wide brim bullshit.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I like hats...... I hate hat hair.

I loathe baseball hat/new ear fitted/limited edition wide brim bullshit.

I wonder if there might be some correlation between the decline in hat-wearing and what I imagine (although I don't really know) have been gradually changing cultural norms regarding the washing and styling of men's hair.

13. onion

onion Senior member

I was thinking of buying a nice fedora or trilby, but I'm not sure how people would take it, and that's a lot of money to just put on a rack. I would love to see them make a comeback... anything to replace these wretched dirty/ripped up baseball caps I see on everyone.

14. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

I've worn Fedoras since my early twenties (over 25 years now) and regarding them I really don't care what anyone else thinks. Truth be told, I don't remember ever getting anything but compliments for wearing one- even when in my early twenties. Lot of worrying going on for no apparent reason IMO.

15. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

allegedly, JFK's inaugural sounded the death-knell, but it had been on the way out for ages. I'm sure others here will know more than I do on this topic however.
    John F. Kennedy did in fact wear a hat at his inaugural but removed it for the swearing in and speech. [​IMG] I believe it was the fact that he eschewed hats for daily wear that helped do them in.