• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When did the counterfeiting of luxury goods begin?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has the phenomenon of counterfeit luxury goods always existed in some form, or is it an industrial or post-industrial phenomenon?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is my intuition as well; I'd love to see counterfeits from the ancient world.

mikej77

Reaction score
It's no different than with narcotics, as long as there is a market for it, it will exist. The US seizes about 90 percent of its countfeit goods from China. I wuld be curious to know when it really took off as an industry though.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fool's gold.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I reckon it is as old as the art of bartering.

+1. Probably counterfeiting of luxury goods started about six hours after the first luxury good was made and sold.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a book I was reading a while back about how Savile Row Started and I know the book mentioned it as far back as then.

coogie

Reaction score
I suppose as long as brand names have existed

jagmqt

Reaction score
When did "luxury goods" first start being produced?

Hate to answer a question with a question, but I think you need to answer one before you can answer the other.

jag

absolut3

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that the original Louis Vuitton monogram was made to stop counterfeiters

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagmqt
When did "luxury goods" first start being produced?
2269 BC in June at around 6:00 pm. It was on a Tuesday.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
2269 BC in June at around 6:00 pm. It was on a Tuesday.

Though there is some evidence amongst the much more ancient cave drawings of France that the first luxury clothing may have been when Ugg gave his wife a fur made out of an animal with sharp claws and teeth that could actually fight back. Other Neanderthals were mightily impressed at the skill and supreme labor, not to mention the risk, that Ugg took that elevated cave-wear several notches that year.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by absolut3
I think I read somewhere that the original Louis Vuitton monogram was made to stop counterfeiters

That is true. There are many ways to authenticate Louis Vuitton but the alignment of the monogram canvas is the first sign of a poorly made fake.

Men have it much easier than women when it comes to avoiding fakes. Most men don't buy bags to match every outfit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads