• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When did Banana Republic stop making clothing in Italy?...

jamiebryant

Reaction score
I know, alot of you probably don't care but im curious. I picked up one of those BR Monogram shirts yesterday and for some reason I thought that all of that sub-label was Made in Italy....guess not.

I do have a pair of trousers that are Made in Italy, tag indicates they are from Holiday Season of '03. So anyways, anyone know when they stopped making stuff in Italy?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know, alot of you probably don't care but im curious. I picked up one of those BR Monogram shirts yesterday and for some reason I thought that all of that sub-label was Made in Italy....guess not.

I do have a pair of trousers that are Made in Italy, tag indicates they are from Holiday Season of '03. So anyways, anyone know when they stopped making stuff in Italy?

About '06

jamiebryant

Reaction score
As far as Craftsmanship, do you think the stuff that was made in italy is better than the newer stuff?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By far. As a current SA (yes, I know :shame:) the quality of the stuff is complete garbage. I pretty much show up just to schmooze unknowing college students into buying their work wardrobe. I doubt it will last them 3 years.

No joke, the stuff is complete trash. Even suits that I bought in '08 are miles ahead of the crap we currently offer.

Last edited:

jamiebryant

Reaction score
So wait, the Made in Italy production runs were good, thats what your saying right?
BUT the newer stuff is garbage?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More or less. Back to '03 I suspect it'd be decent (although I was still in high school at the time - pre styleforum discovery).

It's only consistently gone down in quality since at least '06, so I suspect that trend would continue on back in time too.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a couple shirts that were "woven in Italy" about 6-7 years ago, which fit well. In fact, I received compliments on them and the fabric was thick and almost luxe feeling. Now it's like a better cut Gap. Complete garbage. I'm surprised they killed that brand so hard, because it seemed to have a nice little niche of good clothes for the middle class and/or youth.

Last edited:

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ +1...I have 2 shirts from this period, or I guess even 8-9 years. Definitely miles better than current offerings. Thicker and softer material and better construction wise.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score

I had a couple shirts that were "woven in Italy" about 6-7 years ago, which fit well. In fact, I received compliments on them and the fabric was thick and almost luxe feeling. Now it's like a better cut Gap. Complete garbage. I'm surprised they killed that brand so hard, because it seemed to have a nice little niche of good clothes for the middle class and/or youth.

It is strange that you would do this to Banana Republic. This is because I thought that this brand was supposed to be superior to Gap.

However, I'm very surprised that Banana Republic clothes have ever been made in Italy.

Last edited:

Kiwi Man

Reaction score

It is strange that they would do this to Banana Republic. This is because I thought that this brand was supposed to be superior to Gap.
However, I'm very surprised that Banana Republic clothes have ever been made in Italy.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is strange that you would do this to Banana Republic. This is because I thought that this brand was supposed to be superior to Gap.

I still have a Monogram glenplaid suit from holiday '08 that was made in Italy. Spectacular for the price point (winter clearance - jacket, pants, and vest for under $200). GAP has gone down the rabbit hole too quality-wise. Nothing compared to even 5-6 years ago. The whole brand GAPINC is tanking.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I always thought that Banana Republic stuff was made in Central America or equatorial Africa?

:confused:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always thought that Banana Republic stuff was made in Central America or equatorial Africa?
:confused:

I believe you were thinking of Josephine Baker.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
:teach:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads