• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When are Brown Ties Okay?

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
brown ties are for:

1) spring planting of the crops
2) autumn harvest.

rotflmao.gif

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you're an alumnus of New College, Oxford. Apart from that, love'em, although I will wear them mostly in autumn and winter.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope :) They're less versatile than blue, gray, and red, as well as many multi-stripes. Also, brown ties still seem uncommon as actually worn by people (which albeit could be misleading due to the relatively private nature of offices). Maybe that is slowly changing. There's also an issue which nobody mentioned - the effect and appeal of color, such that some people might not look good in brown (depending on the shade) or prefer louder (overly loud?) colors.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
In a suit context, they're less versatile than gray. In an odd jacket/trouser context, I'd argue they're more versatile than gray.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe. For daytime, non-wedding wear, brown certainly can look as good as gray.

topos

Reaction score
In a suit context, they're less versatile than gray. In an odd jacket/trouser context, I'd argue they're more versatile than gray.

I'm inclined to agree with this (well, the second half) from experience almost exclusively wearing odd jackets/trousers. Especially with a blue jacket I find myself reaching for a brown tie over every other most of the time.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope
smile.gif
They're less versatile than blue, gray, and red, as well as many multi-stripes. Also, brown ties still seem uncommon as actually worn by people (which albeit could be misleading due to the relatively private nature of offices). Maybe that is slowly changing. There's also an issue which nobody mentioned - the effect and appeal of color, such that some people might not look good in brown (depending on the shade) or prefer louder (overly loud?) colors.

Somehow I didn't think you be convinced
smile.gif
Out of interest, though, would anything have convinced you otherwise?
Similarly, based on the utility I get out of brown ties (i.e. how many of my own suits and sports coats I can wear them with - pretty), I remain convinced
wink.gif

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown neats are great with suits.
Brown linen is great in the summer.
Brown wool is great in the winter.
Chocolate brown grenadines are great with casual suits.
Chocolate brown knits are great with odd jackets.

Brown is actually quite closely related to the red/orange spectrum, so it's useable in any number of equivalent ways to red/orange. Which makes it just about as useable as they come.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand. Was there ever some rule that brown ties aren't okay? I like them a lot with blue and grey suits.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't understand. Was there ever some rule that brown ties aren't okay?
If there was, I didn't get the memo. Then again, no one ever sends me memos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads