• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When are ascots appropriate?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

504533331_4Lofb-X2.jpg

cqn8n.jpg

those shorts make you look rotund

ed1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
I would actually contest this statement. I think bowties are more formal than ascots. While I could definitely get away with wearing a bowtie to work - albeit perhaps attracting some comments and attention - I don't think the same applies to ascots.
+1, though I agree that it is a UK/US thing. Wearing a bow tie in the UK to work would look out of place even in the most formal of offices - they are for dinner jacket / tuxedo levels of formality. I get the impression that the same is not the case in the US - bow ties are acceptable, if unusual, as every day wear (albeit formal every day wear). To wear one in the UK when not wearing a dinner jacket would mark one out as eccentric in the same way as one who wore an ascot, I would suggest. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. I wore one once when I visited a restaurant in Europe which had a tie/jacket rule. It was an unexpected engagement so I didn't have a tie, and they fitted me out with a very comfortable ascot.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
You can also break out the creative neckwear when offering lewd witticisms on your favorite televised game show:
CharlesNelsonReilly.jpg
Actually, now that I think about it, watching Match Game isn't too far removed from reading SF.

I like the look of a neckerchief/cravat. Bowties strike me as very suitable for summer-wear. I am wearing one right now in 36 Celsius/97 Farenheit Beijing.

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ed1234
+1, though I agree that it is a UK/US thing. Wearing a bow tie in the UK to work would look out of place even in the most formal of offices - they are for dinner jacket / tuxedo levels of formality. I get the impression that the same is not the case in the US - bow ties are acceptable, if unusual, as every day wear (albeit formal every day wear). To wear one in the UK when not wearing a dinner jacket would mark one out as eccentric in the same way as one who wore an ascot, I would suggest. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. I wore one once when I visited a restaurant in Europe which had a tie/jacket rule. It was an unexpected engagement so I didn't have a tie, and they fitted me out with a very comfortable ascot.
No, I think this is off the mark. Ascots and bowties are more common in the UK. By far. Also, to say bow-ties are only for "dinner jacket levels of formality" is meaningless because only one kind of bowtie is allowed with a DJ, so any patterned or non-black bowtie can only be worn with something other than a DJ. Everyone knows that. Lastly, let me assure you that a bowtie wearer is just as much an eccentric in any office in the States as he is in the UK, regardless of how formal the office is. How I love to nitpick on these points, I who don't even need to suit up for work and don't even own a DJ.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Bowties strike me as very suitable for summer-wear. I am wearing one right now in 36 Celsius/97 Farenheit Beijing.
You just made me feel the need to undo another button on my shirt
eh.gif

superfans124

Reaction score
I love it, but because of the haters on this forum and in the outside world, I don't have the courage to wear them (not once, though I have a few sitting in closet), so here's my support, you look good and go ROCK it.

one reason I'm afraid of wearing them is because the lack of it seem in public, I don't recall seeing younger (relatively) celebrities wearing them, only douches like jeremy piven and jeff ross. so to be on the safe side, I'm gonna wait out a bit more until I see some respectable celebrities with them in public.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ed1234
Wearing a bow tie in the UK to work would look out of place even in the most formal of offices - they are for dinner jacket / tuxedo levels of formality. I get the impression that the same is not the case in the US - bow ties are acceptable, if unusual, as every day wear (albeit formal every day wear).

You're telling me bow ties are not worn in daylight in the land of Winston Churchill?

Horatio

Reaction score
I wear an ascot when I think a tie is overdressing. Not for work, not for meetings. I have the feeling the outfit is not complete and missing something around the neck wearing shirt & sports jacket. I only leave the top button of the shirt open so that the ascot just adds a little subtle color at the neck for completeness, not to show off. No negative experiences doing so so far but I wouldn't care anyway
devil.gif

Best, Horatio

centalones

Reaction score
I just received my first ascot for my birthday from my girlfriend, and I was thrilled.

My attitude: I fully intend to wear it for the ***** and giggles.

trogdor

Reaction score
It's funny to hear people describing the ascot (or "cravat" as I think of it) as terribly formal; the image that springs to my mind when I think of cravats is Buster Merryfield playing Uncle Albert in Only Fools and Horses. On him, it doesn't look affected at all:
fools27.jpg
only_fools_rodney_del_albert.jpg

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never worn one, but i'd like to try it.

For whatever reason, i feel they wouldn't be appropriate in the winter, and i'd only wear one at a party, i.e. not during the day or at work.

Therefore I think that the perfect occasion for me to wear one would be at a new years party - I live in the southern hemisphere, so it would be summer, and new years parties allow for all types of eccentricities anyway.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
You're telling me bow ties are not worn in daylight in the land of Winston Churchill?

Oh, they are, albeit rarely. Besides myself and a friend of mine (both of us under 30, neither concerned about the haters, the swearing or the pointing), I see them infrequently in Central London, sported mainly by middle aged and older gentlemen. They're still a favourite of academics the country over, naturally

I also enjoy a nice cravat (/ascot), although I haven't posted any such outfits here yet

ed1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butterfly
No, I think this is off the mark. Ascots and bowties are more common in the UK. By far. Also, to say bow-ties are only for "dinner jacket levels of formality" is meaningless because only one kind of bowtie is allowed with a DJ, so any patterned or non-black bowtie can only be worn with something other than a DJ.

Interesting post - I take your point about dinner jackets and non-black bowties. From this and your second post, I guess it just goes to show how rare bow ties and ascots are in both the US and the UK. My experience in this is different from yours - I have never seen either in London (except for black tie events) but have seen a few on my business (and personal - they seem to appear in casual settings in the US) trips stateside. Perhaps this is down to the sorts of eccentrics I tend to visit in the US though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads