• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When are ascots appropriate?

vncrz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brittain
That said, if your lifestyle supports it, rock it.
Unfortunately my lifestyle doesn't support yachts or horse races
confused.gif
… yet
Originally Posted by srivats
I like this ... you are wearing it properly. Don't listen to the haters! I wear an ascot when a tie might be considered too dressy.
That's exactly what I was thinking…
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I like them, and occasionally wear one to fill the gap between smart and completely casual, but they do have an eccentric edge these days. I get the impression that they're probably slightly more common in the UK (at least in the country/provinces) whilst in the states bow-ties often fill the same position.
I also heard they're common in Argentina, must be the polo thing

Neo1824

Reaction score
not a fan...my neck is perfectly happy unwrapped and open collared.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I get the impression that they're probably slightly more common in the UK (at least in the country/provinces) whilst in the states bow-ties often fill the same position.

I would actually contest this statement. I think bowties are more formal than ascots. While I could definitely get away with wearing a bowtie to work - albeit perhaps attracting some comments and attention - I don't think the same applies to ascots. (I work in an organization where dark suits are de rigueur.) I would see the ascot as casual wear: there's something about it that's too redolent of leisurely tea parties, or yachting in the Aegean.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember the Brummell principle--dressing well involves subtlety. A touch of silk around the collar can be quite effective. The shirt-undone-to-the-navel, billowing-out-everywhere school is clearly a bridge too far.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
504533331_4Lofb-X2.jpg

- B

Wow...nice jacket and nice shoes, but I don`t understand the need to put in a pocket square or wear an ascot with that.

cgardel

Reaction score
When are ascots appropriate? Perhaps an iGent convention.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday

Actually, now that I think about it, watching Match Game isn't too far removed from reading SF.

GeneRayburnandContestants.jpg

"Every evening, Johnny StyleForvm takes off his pants and [blanks] in front of the computer."

- B

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vncrz
I recently tried on an ascot a family member had from a long time ago and liked the look. When are they supposed to be worn?

ralphandricky1967

Reaction score
I've been seeing Ralph Lauren's Purple Label showcase the ascot look more in the past couple of years. I kind of like it. Might sport this to opening day of polo this season.

Picture1.png

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Aside from that relentless philistine I am married to, nobody ever gives me any grief or ridicule about wearing an ascot. I suspect most of them don't even know what the hell it is or attach any particular symbolism to it. At one market, a checkout clerk was much more curious about my pocket square than my ascot.
This is correct. The menswear forums are the only place where people are particularly opinionated about ascots, one way or another. In public, ascots are practically invisible because 96% of the public have no idea what they are. Having said that, they often make me feel a bit overdressed, so I don't wear them very much. The days when a collared shirt worn open with no neckwear could regarded as "slovenly" outside the workplace are long gone.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my feeling is that they're like bowties, you guys are all scared to death of them, and they're received well often out there in the real world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics