• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When and where to buy quality suits at or under $500?

shoeme

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been in the market for quality suits (not top of the line), such as BB Regent or Corneliani, for a little while. However, my goal was/is to not spend over $500 for one. I almost pulled the trigger on a BB Regent in the summer for $598 but could not find my size. And now I am glad, as another forumite just shared his latest acq of 2 Regent suits for $850.

So my question is:

With all the noise about upcoming sales, when is the best time to pull the trigger? If I can score the Regents for 2 for $850, should I? Or will Saks in their upcoming sale have better deals on Canali or Corneliani or other brands? Or will BB have even better sales in the weeks ahead. I do not have any time pressure so can wait for the best deal. I have found though that sizes and choices seem to be very limited by the time the actual sale is on. For the record, I wear a 40R - 42R.

A related question: How do I get the add'l 15% affiliate (?) discount on BB in their stores?

Thanks.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
nothing at STP?

I also think you really need to keep your eye on eBay, especially as we continue to ride the economy down. Setup some daily searches and be ready to snipe.

shoeme

Reaction score
Nothing really - and I would really like to try on for fit first. I realize I can go somewhere else to try my size and then shop at STP - and I had done that in the summer, but STP seemed to have higher prices recently than I wanted to spend.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even with the economy in shambles, you'll have better luck hitting outlets and discounters than at mainline stores. Larger Marshall's regularly stock Polo and Corneliani suits for less than $500, sometimes Canali too. Try Saks Off 5th and other such stores. And keep an eye on eBay and B&S -- I have a 41R Golden Fleece that I can't give away at less than $350. I know you'd rather try the suit on, and I don't blame you, but that does limit your options.

With STP, make sure you've checked for coupon codes. That's what really drives the price down. And their great return policy takes the risk out of ordering online.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are these mythical Marshalls' with good merchandise? Most seem to have only crap, and if there's anything good, it seems to only be in odd sizes.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Where are these mythical Marshalls' with good merchandise? Most seem to have only crap, and if there's anything good, it seems to only be in odd sizes.

Certainly true of the Marshalls in the Twin Cities- mostly crap.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Marshall's stock depends on location and size of the store. I've only seen good stuff show up regularly at their larger locations in metro areas. (My nearest one is a wasteland of Claiborne and Andrew Fezza.) The large one I visit most often usually has a decent selection of Polo, with some Canali and Corneliani mixed in. But I don't mean to suggest there are racks of solid navy suits. Mostly stripes and patterns, with the rare solid thrown in. Hit or miss.

AC7

Reaction score
I always found Syms to be the best place to find inexpensive, but quality, suits.

scwtlover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic

Not in Boston or Newton, Mass.

The Newton, Mass., Filene's Basement often has a good selection. The (I hope temporary) downtown Boston FB not so much. Nor the Framingham, Mass., FB.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scwtlover
Not in Boston or Newton, Mass.

The Newton, Mass., Filene's Basement often has a good selection. The (I hope temporary) downtown Boston FB not so much. Nor the Framingham, Mass., FB.

yup..Newton does have decent stuff. The FB in Peabody blows
frown.gif
unfortunately.

I saw this beautiful Corneliani on STP:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0...l-For-Men.html

$589.41 with discounts prior to shipping. If you need a larger size this is a great deal!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
I also think you really need to keep your eye on eBay, especially as we continue to ride the economy down. Setup some daily searches and be ready to snipe.

What he said. I have also seen some great deals on SF. Once got a NWT Hickey Freeman for $250. I kid you not.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren Black/Blue labels could be found typically below $500 on eBay or B&S

brokencycle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Marshall's stock depends on location and size of the store. I've only seen good stuff show up regularly at their larger locations in metro areas. (My nearest one is a wasteland of Claiborne and Andrew Fezza.) The large one I visit most often usually has a decent selection of Polo, with some Canali and Corneliani mixed in. But I don't mean to suggest there are racks of solid navy suits. Mostly stripes and patterns, with the rare solid thrown in. Hit or miss.

And here in Madison, we have the only Marshalls and TJ Maxx without a single suit or sportcoat. It is embarrassing... a state capitol no-less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads