• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When an eBay purchase isnt exactly as described

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I bought this Ralph Lauren Polo Blazer on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200238907553

It was advertised as "Condition: Like new" and a size 42. I knew it would run small based on the measurements, and was therefore not actually surprised to discover it was in fact a 40. (good news for you guys, it fits me very closely, as opposed to more loosely as I prefer and have been ridiculed for here). However I was somewhat disappointed with the condition when I received it. Rather than looking "like new" it looks slightly worn. The seams on the shoulders have some loose threads and snags, and the front fabric between the pockets and lapels has that slightly faded look, similar to most clothes you find at the thrift store. Not at all bad shape for "used/preowned" but it would never pass for "like new" or "NWOT". I would take pictures, but none of this would show up, as you can see it looks pretty good in the auction pictures.

I've steamed it twice, which of course made it look much better than it did out of the box, but did not help with the issues above. I emailed the seller and they suggested dry cleaning it, which I am very reluctant to do.

So . . . what do you guys normally do in a situation like this? I want to keep the jacket. Do I ask for a partial refund? Do I chalk it up to experience and forget it? Are these issues significant in buying eBay clothing, or very very minor?

I have bought and sold on eBay for years, but buying used clothing is new to me.

manouche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
I bought this Ralph Lauren Polo Blazer on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200238907553

It was advertised as "Condition: Like new" and a size 42. I knew it would run small based on the measurements, and was therefore not actually surprised to discover it was in fact a 40. (good news for you guys, it fits me very closely, as opposed to more loosely as I prefer and have been ridiculed for here). However I was somewhat disappointed with the condition when I received it. Rather than looking "like new" it looks slightly worn. The seams on the shoulders have some loose threads and snags, and the front fabric between the pockets and lapels has that slightly faded look, similar to most clothes you find at the thrift store. Not at all bad shape for "used/preowned" but it would never pass for "like new" or "NWOT". I would take pictures, but none of this would show up, as you can see it looks pretty good in the auction pictures.

I've steamed it twice, which of course made it look much better than it did out of the box, but did not help with the issues above. I emailed the seller and they suggested dry cleaning it, which I am very reluctant to do.

So . . . what do you guys normally do in a situation like this? I want to keep the jacket. Do I ask for a partial refund? Do I chalk it up to experience and forget it? Are these issues significant in buying eBay clothing, or very very minor?

I have bought and sold on eBay for years, but buying used clothing is new to me.

I would sue this rat.

tofu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by manouche
I would sue this rat.

very american of you.

yes, sue him, rather than the logical return or partial refund.

mdg137

Reaction score
I would email the seller and describe the issues with the blazer first-- Ive found that often they are willing to refund a enough of the selling price to make it well worth it.

If they arent willing to do that, Id ask about returning it-- Ive bought and sold a ton of stuff on ebay over the last 10 years-- I have over 100% positive feedback (over 1000)-- the few times Ive had a buyer have a legitimate issue, Im more than willing to refund/return.

Last resort? Leave negative feedback and eat the 44.00. Its unlikely paypal will do much for you unless it is REALLLLY bad.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I would ask for the pants.

Although it LOOKS like a suit jacket, the "L" size suggests that it really is at least intended to be a blazer.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

But seriously, for a $44 jacket, I'd say chalk it up to experience. BTW, I'd get it dry cleaned as well, and possible have a tailor tighten up the threads. You don't have too much to lose.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"As new" is a fishy term, subject to interpretation, which is why ebay discourages sellers from using it in descriptions.

One recent reform was limiting condition descriptions to NWT, NWOT, and pre-owned. Unlike many of ebay's ideas, this was a good one.

dk123

Reaction score

laugh.gif

I would be annoyed as well, however given the price, I wouldn't be too upset as long as it is wearable/presentable. This doesn't strike me as a case where it would be worth the effort to pursue the issue.

cvac

Reaction score
Yes. That looks like an orphaned suit jacket. A blazer should be solid navy with brass buttons. Some "regatta / yachting" type jackets have stripes, but not like that. I would try to return it for a refund.

cvac

Reaction score
Since the length is 34" , the "L" could also mean it's a "long" sized jacket. Either way, I would not wear that as a blazer or sportcoat.

Originally Posted by Ataturk
Although it LOOKS like a suit jacket, the "L" size suggests that it really is at least intended to be a blazer.

lbcgav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
Yes. That looks like an orphaned suit jacket. A blazer should be solid navy with brass buttons. Some "regatta / yachting" type jackets have stripes, but not like that. I would try to return it for a refund.

This isn't a legitimate reason to return the jacket. The buyer knew what the jacket looked like and he still chose to purchase it. The issue is whether the seller misrepresented the condition. As was stated above, "Like New" leaves too much to interpretation. One will always face this risk when purchasing from eBay. Consider it the built in risk that comes with purchasing discounted items.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
+1

But seriously, for a $44 jacket, I'd say chalk it up to experience. BTW, I'd get it dry cleaned as well, and possible have a tailor tighten up the threads. You don't have too much to lose.

actually i would say for the average guy like me, 50 dollars (including shipping) is nothing to laugh at if you lose it in a purchase you thought you were receiving but was something not as described to your satisfaction.

i would ask him plainly for a refund and return, you may lose out on the shipping. but asking for a discount would be less of a hassle, but im not sure most will even simply comply with you on that.

JR88

Reaction score
If you believe your time is worth more than $22/hour (or divide $44 by however many hours you've spent strategizing how to gain redress (I guessed two)), nothing. Save remembering that what you get is what you pay for, even (especially?) on ebay.

And given the baseline price of $44, the difference between this "like new" (which you admit is "not at all bad") and what might actually qualify as like new is probably far less than $44.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads