• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When a Jacket or Coat is Shortened, Where Does the Extra Material Go?

minervau

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a really silly question, but I'm wondering what happens to the extra material when an item like a suit/sport coat is shortened (I know, I know, not supposed to do it!) or when an overcoat is shortened. Does the tailor just give you the cut off extra fabric (perhaps it would be worth keeping in case the main piece needed mending in a few years?)? Is that material actually folded into the lining of the coat, the way the hem on trousers is? (Seems unlikely.)

I'm wondering because I would like to have an overcoat shortened and based on past posts it sounds like this is a practical and even quite an easy alteration. Is it easy to do, and if so, where does the extra material (if you're taking it up 4 inches, that is a TON of wool, cashmere, etc.) go?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry if this is a really silly question, but I'm wondering what happens to the extra material when an item like a suit/sport coat is shortened (I know, I know, not supposed to do it!) or when an overcoat is shortened. Does the tailor just give you the cut off extra fabric (perhaps it would be worth keeping in case the main piece needed mending in a few years?)? Is that material actually folded into the lining of the coat, the way the hem on trousers is? (Seems unlikely.)
I'm wondering because I would like to have an overcoat shortened and based on past posts it sounds like this is a practical and even quite an easy alteration. Is it easy to do, and if so, where does the extra material (if you're taking it up 4 inches, that is a TON of wool, cashmere, etc.) go?

The technical name for it is a "cloth bin".

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

......I'm wondering what happens to the extra material......(perhaps it would be worth keeping in case the main piece needed mending in a few years?)

Just ask your alteration tailor to return the cut-offs to you.

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know on most of it and it's never really occurred to me to ask. My tailor knows my finer things and will give me any useable material left. I was told it would be useful to have to do repairs should I need them down the line and it would be difficult/expensive if I didn't have a piece of the exact material. I keep them all together but I don't think I've used one yet.

tl;dr: If you want them, just mention it to your tailor before he makes the adjustments.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor will often put some excess fabric in the pockets for me. As I am reaching for a business card, I will pull it out and say, "WTF?" Then I calm down.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some say heaven, others hell. Depends on the fabric, really.

I thought tailors put the scraps under their pillows, and in the morning they find a quarter for each in their place. Guess I was wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads